Peacock Bass Tank size?

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
DeLgAdO said:
about 300
And that really would be bare minimum. I have seen and heard of others who have near adults in the 15" - 18" size range in tanks as small as 180. But PBs are rather stiff fish and very active and larger would obviously be better. I have my 2 10" range monoculus in a 200 with an 8' x 2' footprint and when they get ornary with each other, it still isn't really "big enough". Ideally, I would like to alyways be able to maintain them in a tank that is 8 - 10 times as long as the PBs and 4 times as wide as the PBs. But seeing as how that would be anywhere from 16' - 20' long for adults, that may be unrealistic. So at this point, I will be happy if I can get them into something with a 10' x 3' footprint within the next year.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
It depends on the speices, some species are so large that I would not even consider keeping them in a 300g. C. intermedia is the smallest and only gets to about 21". Definantly the pbass species I am after.

mav

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
NY
So why do lfs even sell them. I have one in my 125 with other SA and Africans. I know he will eventually get to big (now) but I did not know that then. How many people really have the space and money have 300 gallon tanks.

I also have seen rather large peacock bass in a 55 which I know is to small....but IT had been their for a few years, had a great appetite, and showed no signs of stress. I agree that it is not the optimal size for the fish, but how bad is it really. There are a lot worse situations out there.

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
mav said:
So why do lfs even sell them. I have one in my 125 with other SA and Africans. I know he will eventually get to big (now) but I did not know that then. How many people really have the space and money have 300 gallon tanks.

I also have seen rather large peacock bass in a 55 which I know is to small....but IT had been their for a few years, had a great appetite, and showed no signs of stress. I agree that it is not the optimal size for the fish, but how bad is it really. There are a lot worse situations out there.

There are a lot more uneducated people out there than educated that is why. Also if the fish stores did know the correct requirements and told the customer this fish will need a 1000 gallon tank how many p-bass do you think they would sell. I personally wouldn't recomend keeping them in anything less than a 10' x 4' tank but even then these guys get huge and are open water bad ass powerful fish. When I had a 15" temensis bass at that size I felt he already needed something in the 300 gallon range to be comfortable and this is why I got rid of him before he got any bigger. He was in a 150 gallon. There are a lot of people out there that have tanks much bigger than 300 gallons to answer your question. It is definately not the majority but they are out there in abundance. After all this is MFK.. Hope this helped

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
mav said:

It's all about the money, the LFS cares more about a profit than about the fish. It's the same reason they sell pacu, iridesent sharks, redtail catfish and all the others.

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
im basically renting mine. He's goin back to my lfs's 300 + gal. tank or a tank that I am purchasing. he's my homeboy. I will have him in a 125 for a little less than a year. my plan is to get a 300 gal. tank with a 4x4 footprint. Do you think this is a good idea? the footprint i mean.

scottv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Minnesota
Goddamn P-bass are so damn agile. They look like fish that would be happier in the wild in endless open waters to swim after their prey instead of cooped up in tanks. :eek:

They difinitely are a sight to see. ;)

Justin Martin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Goddamn P-bass are so damn agile. They look like fish that would be happier in the wild in endless open waters to swim after their prey instead of cooped up in tanks. :eek:

They difinitely are a sight to see. ;)
In all of us keepers’ defense, I see peacocks all the time and they just sit their fat asses near a rock or stump and only will travel about 3 feet for some food lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store