pike cichlid tankmates...

Pirwhana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Stillwater, MN
Pikes are very aggressive towards each other. As juveniles they are ok with each other but as they get older they will harass and even kill one another. Certain pikes are not as murderous but they do not like other pikes. Mine will attack the reflective part of the tank when he sees his reflection and tries to bite it.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Depends on the type of Crenicichla that you have. Certain species are more tolerant of other pikes, and some people debate that if you have different groups of pikes, like Lugubris with Saxatilis or Lugubris with Reticulatus group pikes, that the aggression will be lower. Generally speakin though, it can be really risky, and potentially not worth it.

In all actuality,its best to keep pikes as either MATED pairs, or as the only pike in the tank. If you have larger tanks, this will help out greatly. Having a large group of pikes also seems to lower aggression. As they mature though, they will hit the subadult age, where they start gettin more aggressive, and they can quickly turn on one another. Which is why we normally keep a pretty good sized group of pikes together when they are young, so they can pair up more naturally and to cut back on aggression. Once you have a pair, all you got to do is remove the remainin pikes. Its not always that simple, and some times the pairs will turn on each other as well. So its a toss up...they can be a handful, but totally worth it! ;)

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
All of my adult pikes are lone pikes in their respected tanks (nothing over 100g), save for a bellycrawler in with my lent. My juvinile svenis(3) are at late teenage stage right now and beating the hell out of each other. Ima be buying a 240g in a month or two and then Ill make an attempt at a little pack of Lents or something like salty wants to do. Hopefully I can track down the fish quick and relatively cheap, in the peak collection months.

sicxspeed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ryht Bye De Beech
I would say, in general, I would agree with what everyone has said. It seems that Pikes really do seem to not like each other much, hahaha. A mated pair can work, but other then that, depending on tank size, you may want to limit the mixing.

fish speaker

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
NC, USA
...and tank size can have a big impact: I have a group of 4 very small Crenicichla lacustris that I got in a few weeks ago. While they were in a 55 together, even with lots of hiding places, one of them kept the other 3 pinned in the corners. I moved them out to a 625-gallon tank that I run outside during the summer, and have been able to see a couple of them mingling peacefully on several occassions. I wish I had a tank this size inside, because it would give me hope that I could keep more than one of these guys in a tank...

jconley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
Columbia, MD
My friend has a pair of Cobras in his 900 gallon and they hate each other. The female grew faster first and dominated the male for about two years. In the last couple of months the tables have turned. Now the male is bigger (slightly) and has the female pinned in the top corner of the tank. The dimensions are 10'x3'x4' and they still wont get along!!! The pike are about 10"-11" each.

b@rt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
Philippines
jconley;1001501; said:
My friend has a pair of Cobras in his 900 gallon and they hate each other. The female grew faster first and dominated the male for about two years. In the last couple of months the tables have turned. Now the male is bigger (slightly) and has the female pinned in the top corner of the tank. The dimensions are 10'x3'x4' and they still wont get along!!! The pike are about 10"-11" each.

900gal???:eek:
plenty of space for both of them and yet they couldn't get along? tsk.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I currently have a 9.5" Marm, a 8" Johanna and a 7" Xingu I in a 125 with a Vieja community. I have had not one problem so far. I know they are not
adults yet but so far so good.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
as far as I am concerned i wouldnt mix maturing pikes together. They can be very intolerant of their own species. However in other tanks they can make woanderful single specimen. They can add a vibrant life to the tank as they dart in and around the other specimen. I had a pike survive with my RD for a year (only fish to do so) until a power outage did him in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store