Piranha identification help

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Obviously this per store doesn't know ****.... I hate when pet stores make up names .....all rhoms will developed orange into red eyes as they mature... if your concern is activity then I suggest a different type of fish all together....majority of piranhas will hide especially babies and sub adults...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What one would you get? Or which would be more active? The pet shop has 2 rhoms. One is labeled true red eye black piranha and the other is labeled just black piranha. Do you know what the difference may be. The red eye one is a little more money.
Mature Rhoms develop red eyes.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Obviously this per store doesn't know ****.... I hate when pet stores make up names .....all rhoms will developed orange into red eyes as they mature... if your concern is activity then I suggest a different type of fish all together....majority of piranhas will hide especially babies and sub adults...

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Irritans Piranha... Does anyone know anything about them?

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Rarely seen in the hobby ....aquascape just got some in not too long ago and I believe that's the first time I've seen them for sale since I've kept piranhas....which has been 8 years...I may be mistaken tho if not it has definitely been at least 5.......

Personally I think they are ugly..... most hobbyist want them bc they are rare....

If you are looking for color and a better chance for it to be aggressive. ...I would go with Ruby red spilo....

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Rarely seen in the hobby ....aquascape just got some in not too long ago and I believe that's the first time I've seen them for sale since I've kept piranhas....which has been 8 years...I may be mistaken tho if not it has definitely been at least 5.......

Personally I think they are ugly..... most hobbyist want them bc they are rare....

If you are looking for color and a better chance for it to be aggressive. ...I would go with Ruby red spilo....

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015

Yeah I just thought the shape and size were cool. I've really been looking for a Elongatus becAuse of their shape. What's your thoughts on them?

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I've kept 3 in the past.... most hobbyist that have kept elongs say majority are aggressive. ... ive seen some aggression... most of them were just crazy.... hitting Lids ....trying to attack u thru the glass... that's the luck I've had with them ..... where are u located there are 1-2 members in the NJ/PA area I believe selling in the classifieds

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I've kept 3 in the past.... most hobbyist that have kept elongs say majority are aggressive. ... ive seen some aggression... most of them were just crazy.... hitting Lids ....trying to attack u thru the glass... that's the luck I've had with them ..... where are u located there are 1-2 members in the NJ/PA area I believe selling in the classifieds
Unfortunately I live in Wisconsin.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Hello everyone, I mentioned in an earlier post that the local shop had 2 piranhas, one labeled true red eye black rhom. And the other was just labeled black piranha. I went in today and tried to take some pictures but the quality wasn't great. If someone could please Id them for it it would be great. I'll post the "red eye" first. Thanks!image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store