Plasti Dip and its possible uses in the aquarium

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I’m speaking from experience, JK47 JK47 i believe used it on his PVC parts or it might be another member. Tons of people on this forum have used Krylon spray cans to paint PVC parts and other things that goes inside aquariums. Personally I have used it on a couple of tanks and all my fishes are still happily swimming today
I’ve used Krylon Fusion for years and never once had an issue. I’ve never tried plasti dip. If one were to download the MSDS for both and compare, they may be able to tell if it’s worth pursuing.

Reactions: Dloks

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Krylon Fusion, all the other brands that are for "plastics" and truth be told a ton of other spray paints you never would think were safe are actually aquarium safe once they are cured for a few days. Letting them cure for a few days is the main thing. When people paint something and then stick it in the tank an hour or two later is when most problems occur. I've been building 3d backgrounds for years now using spray paints for color and never have any issues. The ones I do these days I seal with Pond Shield just for durability, but I have done them without sealing and they have still been 100% fish safe.

As to plasti-dip- I didn't want to comment on that earlier because I have not used it myself. With that said I will say that I have seen people use it before in tanks to coat spraybars and intakes and they have never had any issue with it at all once cured. If you go over to cichlid-forum.com and type in plasti dip in the search you will see some of the guys I am talking about that have used it over there.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wouldn’t recommend spraying any type of paint or aerosol inside a tank. I would recommend you only spraying on the outside of the tank. I’ve used Plasti-dip on the back, side, and bottom of my tanks without any issues. Also, remember to spray generously otherwise it won’t peel the way it’s suppose too
Agreed and I have also used it for the outside back panel of my tanks.

Reactions: Dloks

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Hmm..That’s a good idea K krichardson to plastidip the back panel of a tank. It’s easy to peel off and change colors on a whim.

ricksmithsdca

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2020
I know this is an old post but found an article on fishlab that states:

Performix 11203 Plasti Dip Black Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating Aerosol
  • Dries into a firm rubber
  • Can also be used to seal decorations
  • Fish-safe

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I know this is an old post but found an article on fishlab that states:

Performix 11203 Plasti Dip Black Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating Aerosol
  • Dries into a firm rubber
  • Can also be used to seal decorations
  • Fish-safe
I know the liquid plasti dip is fish safe once cured but didn't think the aerosol was. Good to know.

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
After having plasti dip in my tanks for a little over a year now, I can pretty much confirm that it is fish safe after drying for 48hrs..... I also can confirm that clear plasi dip I used on some of my plastic and unfinished porcelain skullz have started to peel away and my fish are actively helping it. They try to eat it but spit it out.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Krylon Fusion bubbles and peels after being under water too. I personally don't use it anymore. I opt for black electrical tape in my plumbing parts inside the tank now. It stays on and still looks good after a few years.

Reactions: jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store