Plumbing a UV with no sump

Tropical Joe

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
Queens NY
I really appreciate all your thoughts. Maybe I can give a little more information to steer all your opinions in a narrow path. I am using 2 Radion Ecco-Tech Marrine LED lights. The reason why I say this is because these lights are about 750 each. The High Output UV I believe is over 500 dollars. This UV is large like a torpedo. It will lay down on the bottom of the stand. Putting it anywhere else is out of the Question. This is why I thought of a overflow box. The only pump I would consider using would be a Eheim pump or the Ecco Tech Marine Vortex pump. Why the Vortex pump? Not because it is very expensive, but because you can control the flow electronically with out a valve. Again Thank You for all your ideas.I would appreciate more with this added information.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
You can pump out of the tank down to the uv and back up to the tank no problem with that pump. If you do it that way just make sure you get all of the air out of the uv and pre filter the uv with an inline e filter sock or prefilled on the pump

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
millerkid519 millerkid519 Woefulrelic Woefulrelic
Lol..... Thanks guys

Tropical Joe Tropical Joe
Seems to me that you have the answers to all your questions. :D

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
You could but not recommended.
Overflow boxes generate lots of bubbles and water is sometimes not prefiltered. This affects the % transmittance. The more particles or bubbles for the pathogen to hide behind the less effective the UV is. Also you will have lots of junk trapped in the chamber.
Most if not all UVs are designed pressurized with the pump pushing water into it. Your proposed reverse method is creating a negative pressure. One thing to consider is if the seals will perform properly.
Your UV size is more than adequate for stage II. This means you need not turn down the flow. I would recommend running one of your canister filter with no valve on the UV.
I agree with Ken. We connected our 40 W UV sterilizer to the return end of an FX5 filter. It works great.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Would you be weary about non vital functions like a uv? I could see it being a problem if they will burn themselves out, which they very well may.
They will. Could get so hot the crystal tube cracks. Then you have electrical issues

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store