Prolapsed anus/rectum in cichlids

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Anyone ever dealt with this in a fish?

I got a couple rescue fish a few weeks ago I am trying to fix up: a port acara that was severely emaciated and sunken in, with a bad case of HITH and also rainbow cichlid with no outward signs of problems that had been living in the same tank. I have them in quarantine, doing lots of water changes, and treated them with Levamisole (once so far, need to repeat) praziquantel and metron. The acaras HITH has been getting better, but it still has what looks like a prolapsed anus, and now the rainbow has developed it as well. It looks just like a bit of their anuses are sticking outside the body. I may be able to see the tips of some white worms as well, but I may be imagining them too. They are not the red worms typical of Callamus worms though.

Any ideas? I want to help these poor fish!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Epsom salt infused food, and epsom salt in tank water resolved this FH's severe case of prolapsed rectum. Once reabsorbed it never prolapsed again. This FH also had a bad case of Spironucleus vortens aka hexamita, which is also suspect of being the pathogen that causes HITH in cichlids. Info on epsom treatment is posted in sticky in the Illness/Health section.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm going to have to try this.I have a kelberi cichla that has a prolapse at least once a week.Sometimes it stays one way or the other for a few days before there is is any change.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If it's constantly recurring you may want to consider adjusting it's diet (it might not be diet related, but worth a try), this shouldn't be happening on a regular basis. Impossible to say what is causing this condition in your kelberi but sometimes a serious prolapse cannot be cured.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sinking pellets is all that it eats,I don't give it feeders or anything else.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If this fish recovers from the prolaps treat it with Kanamycin.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I have used Epsom salt in food before, but for this situation how much would be good to use in the water? And for how long? Also what is Kanamyacin for?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Approx 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Treat for the next several days, or until it gets absorbed back into his body. Basically it just helps reduce tissue swelling.

Kanamycin is used to treat bacterial infections, not saying that's an issue with anyones fish, that was Dr. Tom's advice.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
O'ye of little fath.

Muhanmad Hashim

Feeder Fish
Nov 14, 2018
my flowerhorn have rectal prolapse. I gave him a salt bath he get rectal prolapse inside and normal poop but after 48 hrs he again prolapse it. what to dooooooo :'(
I am very sad for my fish. I want him to perfect again :'( please help me. I am very very very thankful for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store