Prolapsed anus/rectum in cichlids

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It wouldn't help with the prolapse, but would treat any potential secondary infection. I believe that's where Tom was going with this.

Muhanmad - unfortunately not all fish will completely recover from rectal prolapse.

In humans these are some of the more common causes:

Malnutrition.
Deformities or physical development problems.
Straining during bowel movements.
Infections.

Also in humans, often times surgery is the only corrective action that can be taken. Which is also why Tom and I have both stated in the past that sometimes they retract back into the body, and sometimes they don't. The longer this goes on, the less chance of a full recovery.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Angela, are you referring to Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) or just regular salt (sodium chloride)?

What are you treating for?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You would add it initially at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. When you do a water change, you would add in at the same ratio.

Will you be treating in the main tank or in a smaller tank? Any other fish in the main tank?

Angela1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
You would add it initially at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. When you do a water change, you would add in at the same ratio.

Will you be treating in the main tank or in a smaller tank? Any other fish in the main tank?
Thanks. I put my red parrot in a smaller tank by herself. In the main tank I have another red parrot, 2 blue gouramis, 2 zebra tetras and a pleco. How often do I do water changes for the hospital tank?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Do you have a cycled filter, new filter or no filter on the hospital tank?

Regardless, I would test the hospital tank daily for ammonia and nitrite so as not to cause harm to the fish. If you don't have a test kit, I would suggest buying one as they come in handy, especially if you are new or a recent returnee to keep aquariums.

If you don't have a used or cycled filter for the hospital tank, I would do 50% water changes daily AND add the correct amount of Epsom salt to the new water amount.

Angela1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Do you have a cycled filter, new filter or no filter on the hospital tank?

Regardless, I would test the hospital tank daily for ammonia and nitrite so as not to cause harm to the fish. If you don't have a test kit, I would suggest buying one as they come in handy, especially if you are new or a recent returnee to keep aquariums.

If you don't have a used or cycled filter for the hospital tank, I would do 50% water changes daily AND add the correct amount of Epsom salt to the new water amount.
I dipped the bio bag and black mesh filter in my main tank to give the hospital tank some good bacteria. She has adjusted well so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store