Question about Dwarf Hamsters

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I know this is a fishkeeping forum so this might be out of place however I've seen that a few of you guys have dwarf hamsters so perhaps y'all could help.

I've noticed my hamster having very thin fur on her rear, tail, and underbelly. Is this normal shedding or something I should be concerned about? She is eating and drinking normally, is still relatively active, still has a pill personality, etc.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Hey y'all! I know this is a fishkeeping forum so this might be out of place however I've seen that a few of you guys have dwarf hamsters so perhaps y'all could help.

I've noticed my hamster having very thin fur on her rear, tail, and underbelly. Is this normal shedding or something I should be concerned about? She is eating and drinking normally, is still relatively active, still has a pill personality, etc.

Thank you in advance for any help!
I'm no hamster expert, but I do have experience with rabbits.

How old is your hamster, how long have you had her, and what’s her diet like? The three common reasons that come to mind for fur thinning are:

1. Lack of nutrients
  2. Stress
  3. Normal shedding
In my case, my female rabbit experienced this when she was stressed and lacked certain nutrients in her diet. It might not be the same for your hamster, especially since she’s eating fine and acting normally, but sharing more details and possibly some pictures could help narrow down the cause.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store