Question: True Parrot Cichlid compatibilty??

BlesOne

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
So I came across some True Parrot Cichlids (Hoplarchus Psittacus) today at the lfs. Now I'm really considering adding them to my SA/CA tank. All my fish are juniles 3- 4" and have been established for 2 or 3 months now, so naturally a hierarchy has been decided. However, the parrots would be somewhat larger at about 4.5" give or take. I would also be adding some trarget fish or dithers to make things easier.

Does anyone have any experience keeping these fish with other aggressive cichlids, and or can anyone tell me what the best set up would be when keeping them.

Current Stock: 1x Red Oscar, 1x Green Terror, 2x Argetea, 1x Cuban, and an L200. 75 Gal set up.

True Parrot 1.JPG

True Parrot 2.JPG

baldtaxguy

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2006
I worked with a rather large group, so mine were the only species within the tank. I did add a larger male lyonsi that was acting aggressively in another tank and the parrots almost killed him within 24 hours. Parrots are more aggressive than you would think. If you add one to your current group, I would first rearrange the tank and territories and add it when you have the time to keep a close eye on things. I will say that I would be surprised if your mix maintains in the long-term - as adults, I would expect the oscar and the parrot to be the least aggressive of the others and may suffer for it. And obviously, a 75g will not be near enough space as well. Good luck.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
they can be pretty aggressive...the list seems like decent enough tankmates, but would need a much bigger system

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
Youre already WAY overstocked in your 75....dont get them. They can get upwards of 12+ inches, just like your 2 argentea and oscar. Way too much fish for a 75g.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
yeah your tank is already WAY overstocked, but in a much larger system it MIGHT work, im actually getting rid of my parrot because he beats up my argentea, while my argentea is a very chill fish he has almost always been the boss in my tank even when i had midas, vontehillo, dempsey and other aggressive cichlids (all were under 6in at the time though) but yeah so my arg has always been the boss and this parrot has beat on him since i added him since he is a little larger than the arg (arg is 7in, parrot is about 8in) but yeah so parrots when single can usually be kept with other large aggressive cichlids but can be bullies even though they dont look like it

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
VRWC;5143587; said:
Youre already WAY overstocked in your 75....dont get them. They can get upwards of 12+ inches, just like your 2 argentea and oscar. Way too much fish for a 75g.
x2 and they are very sensitive to poor water quality as well. Your messy oscar alone will create enough nitrates to do your parrot in. Beautiful fish but super sensitive. You need a bigger tank already with current stock

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Jc1119;5143616; said:
x2 and they are very sensitive to poor water quality as well. Your messy oscar alone will create enough nitrates to do your parrot in. Beautiful fish but super sensitive. You need a bigger tank already with current stock
+1 they are really sensitive to water quality as well, i had mine in a 10g quarantine tank for awhile to let my arg heal up and even though i kept it clean and its bare bottom and i fed him very little i started to see his sensory pits get a little larger so he is back in my big tank now

BlesOne

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
VRWC;5143587; said:
i just gota 180 gal tank, but cant set it up now until maybe october or november. That should provode enough space for them, or atleast the one that actually make it.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
BlesOne;5146484; said:
i just gota 180 gal tank, but cant set it up now until maybe october or november. That should provode enough space for them, or atleast the one that actually make it.

Just my opinion here, but your current stocklist at adult size will pretty much fill your 180 (assuming you dont have aggression issues). Plus your mixing species with different dietary requirements. Not a deal breaker, but something to think about

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
Waaaay to small a tank even with the 180. I had a pair and the male hit 14" in a 135. They can be very aggressive as well, a lot more so than I ever thought before keeping them. If you get rid of all your other stuff and go with all parrots it can make for a nice display but you need a big tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store