quick question about Nimbochromis venustus

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I just raised a big batch of venustus along with a small amount of red fin kandangos ..the venustus grew 3Xs as fast..here is my male..gald to see so many beautiful venustus.

african malawi 020.jpg

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
I just raised up a redfinned kandango and a (female) venustus also . I found mine grew at the exact same pace. I got them the same week and they were in the same tank (135 long), they are both fairly fast growers. I have another male venustus that was 4 -5 inches and has grown to 6-7 inches but does not seem to have put on alot weight compared to the female and the borleyi. The female and borleyi are growing so fast they are quickly catching up to the larger grown male that i bought. So i figure they reach a plateu when growing and slow down once they reach 5 -6 inches or so , still growing just at a much slower rate maybe ?

arpate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tyler, Texas
Good information- thanks!
- Is there an easy way to tell males from females when they are still small-- between 1.5 - 3.0 inches? I have my both in a 46 grow out tank right now but 1 clearly is dominant to the other and I was wondering if this would mean that I likely have 1 male and 1 female or 2 males? Just curious - any information would help! thanks again!

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
cichlidgirl;1621472; said:
I just raised up a redfinned kandango and a (female) venustus also . I found mine grew at the exact same pace. I got them the same week and they were in the same tank (135 long), they are both fairly fast growers. I have another male venustus that was 4 -5 inches and has grown to 6-7 inches but does not seem to have put on alot weight compared to the female and the borleyi. The female and borleyi are growing so fast they are quickly catching up to the larger grown male that i bought. So i figure they reach a plateu when growing and slow down once they reach 5 -6 inches or so , still growing just at a much slower rate maybe ?
Thats great..one reason i think that the kandangos grew slower is because the parents were babies when they had these babies..i think now that the parents are mature the next batch would be stronger and healthier..while the venustus babies were incredible growing fast and i didn't even lose one baby out of 60 plus... i have also put a few of the youngsters into a 125gal to grow out and although there is no difference in color i see one of the babies really growing faster then the others..i cannot wait to see if this is the male because i think he is.... :D

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
arpate;1621632; said:
Good information- thanks!
- Is there an easy way to tell males from females when they are still small-- between 1.5 - 3.0 inches? I have my both in a 46 grow out tank right now but 1 clearly is dominant to the other and I was wondering if this would mean that I likely have 1 male and 1 female or 2 males? Just curious - any information would help! thanks again!
this is my first time with growing out my own venustus babies and i think the bigger and more dominate will be the male.. i have one superior in size and dominance over his brothers and sisters so i would bet money on this being male..but i won't know for sure until i see the blue!;)

Braxcellent

Feeder Fish
Jan 7, 2012
North Dakota
I actually haven't had good luck with growing Venustus' quickly. Possibly due to overpopulation and a smaller sized tank. One of them I had only grew to about 2.5-3.0" in the span of about 4 months. But like I said, this was only a 30 gallon with a bunch of other fish as well, but the Venustus was one of the slowest ones to grow. Maybe it's just me? Who knows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store