Rank smell

slimmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
ontario
Is there any charcoal in your filtration. I fed mostly shrimps and silversides and used massivore for a treat. Soaked massivore in worm guts to get the pups on a staple.

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Is there any charcoal in your filtration. I fed mostly shrimps and silversides and used massivore for a treat. Soaked massivore in worm guts to get the pups on a staple.
No mate, no charcoal in my sumps.
Appreciate the insight on how to get pups onto pellets!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
danotaylor danotaylor Not sure if you have ever read this? Bloat - Causes - Cures - and BIG Myths | MonsterFishKeepers.com
I posted that in 2012. I fed my tropheus tanks, same as every other cichlid - NLS cichlid formula, which at the time was krill meal/herring meal as main ingredients. Kept plenty of other species known as bloat magnets, yet never once experienced bloat in any of my tanks. :thumbsup:

OmegaSea has lowered in overall quality over the years by adding more starch (wheat), and lower cost protein boost (pea meal) but IMO it's still a good quality food that is readily accepted by the vast majority of fish. I have a 12 yr old 15" midas that hits the glass when he sees the wafer container coming. lol
(1) My Midas | MonsterFishKeepers.com

Reactions: tlindsey

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
danotaylor danotaylor Not sure if you have ever read this? Bloat - Causes - Cures - and BIG Myths | MonsterFishKeepers.com
I posted that in 2012. I fed my tropheus tanks, same as every other cichlid - NLS cichlid formula, which at the time was krill meal/herring meal as main ingredients. Kept plenty of other species known as bloat magnets, yet never once experienced bloat in any of my tanks. :thumbsup:
Great read mate! 2 instances in 40 yrs for me, but isolated individual fish, stress related. I love trophs :thumbsup:
So I fed a pinch of my omega one to the rays just now and even though it’s super small they immediately hovered it up! Will order the wafers today for sure!
Appreciate your input mate. Cheers 🍻

Reactions: tlindsey and RD.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I fed massivore, carnivore and sinking gold exclusively to my rays in 3,500 gal of tanks for 10yrs… never smelled lol… what temp are u running in ur tank? Higher heat may make it smell worse. I bred and kept my rays at 74-76… creeped around 72 even in winters. Other thing i have is auto drip systems which i would def. start setting up if i were u. Its a life line when ray keeping IMO… they produce alot of ammonia that can get out of check quick during inevitable equipment failure, power outtages, breeding/birthing etc… fresh water 24:7 should keep the smell non existent as well as good lids on ur tank and sumps.

Reactions: RD. and tlindsey

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Agree about the Massivore. Smells like ass. Also, IMHO no need for high protein/high fat diet for rays in captivity. Captive rays don't need near the calories as those in the wild, especially once they pass the juvenile growth stage. Just something to keep in mind. If you want to remove the stink, and still feed a quality food to your rays, try these: Veggie Rounds Sinking (omegasea.net)
Lol…I can’t recall you ever not recommending NLS. Guess I’ll try these veggie rounds as well

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
I fed massivore, carnivore and sinking gold exclusively to my rays in 3,500 gal of tanks for 10yrs… never smelled lol… what temp are u running in ur tank? Higher heat may make it smell worse. I bred and kept my rays at 74-76… creeped around 72 even in winters. Other thing i have is auto drip systems which i would def. start setting up if i were u. Its a life line when ray keeping IMO… they produce alot of ammonia that can get out of check quick during inevitable equipment failure, power outtages, breeding/birthing etc… fresh water 24:7 should keep the smell non existent as well as good lids on ur tank and sumps.
Thanks wednesday13 wednesday13 My feeling was it was the food. I can literally tell when I get into the stair well our basement if the rays have taken a crap or not. The poop that I siphon out immediately smells disgusting, the same smell that reeks in the whole basement.
My tank has a good set of acrylic lids, manufacturer supplied, not a perfect seal but made for this tank specifically.
I will look into the auto-drip idea but for now will do the daily poop maintenance and my big weekly water changes.
The smell has gotten better with the daily removal of waste. I think some it gets trapped in the open top sumps as well so will need to mitigate that somehow. Prob add prefilter padding the first stage of filter so I can remove and clean that weekly as well.
I run the tank at 77° so I’ll back it off to 75° now and see if that helps as well.
I appreciate all the feed back!
I did order a bucket of the “veggie” rounds as I needed to restock some food anyway. Will take a look locally for silverside or some other economical filets of fish to supplement. 👍🏼

Reactions: tlindsey and RD.

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
I also have my ray tank on a drip and have never smelled it either. My tank is bare bottom with good flow so most the crap ends up going over the overflow to the sump but my sump is open without a cover, I do change filter socks every couple days but it really doesn’t smell. I couldn’t imagine ray keeping without a drip don’t know if it helps with the smell but it does with everything else

Reactions: wednesday13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store