Red spotted variant of Channa asiatica

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Hi TGM,

the fish you've showing shows head and bodyshape that is similar to my "normal" asiatica. But bloody hell, the red sportting is truely gorgeous !!
It really is beautiful!
I have been wanting one for so long, but these Japanese Asiatica are very uncommon, and prices here can be as high as Barca!

As for the OP's fish, I would love to see Nox in the market, but I really believe this fish to be the Red Spotted Asiatica.
It shares the red marking, where as scientific reference to Nox doesn't mention this but "white spotting" (IMO, red spots would be a very important characteristic to note)
Also, Dorsal spine count on Nox is 47-51, Asiatica being 41-47. The OP's fish has 45-46 which along with Anal fin spine count (I couldn't count OP's fish anal spikes clearly) this should be enough to rule out Nox.

The head shape is quite odd, but I have had Channa with varying head shapes before.

Very interesting!
IMO, The OP's Channa is Either the rare Japanese Asiatica or a mix of that and something...

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
HI TGM,

that and something is always interesting ;-)

And I would like to see nox in the trade aswell. Or Just better pics than the one form the description :-(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store