Red Terror Vs Green Terror

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Who is usually more aggressive between these 2 fish? And tougher?

Today I tried my almost 3 inch red terror in my small tank with my 2 and a bit inch green terror, as I was worried about my red terror being in with my papy.

I figured the red terror would dominate, especially as he lives with much larger JD, loisellei and oscar.

But to my surprise the smaller GT thrashed the RT and I've had to put him back.

They went at it constantly, constant lip wrestling and the RT ended up with a bruised face and shredded tail/fins. The GT looks fine, some slight bruising on the lips.

I thought festaes were meant to be quite aggressive, and Gt's not so much?

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
red terrors won't show their real aggression until they are in the 4-5" range. this is when they become real monsters. you may come across a tame one now and then, but for the most part they are very aggressive and often times intolerant of any tankmates. yours got punked cause it's still a juvie. :thumbsup:

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Thanks for the replies. Jason - the fish is no *****, even in the big tank he manages to look after himself and not get beaten up. He fought back bravely all the way.

Are GT juveniles usually more aggressive then? And don't suddenly turn mean like a festae?

I realize about the hometown advantage, but didn't think it would be a problem because the GT looks slightly smaller.

When they started going at it, I took the Gt out, put him in a filtered polybox for a couple of hours, to give the festae time to become destressed and used to the tank. Which he did. I put the GT back and they started going at it hammer and tong once again. The RT already dominated the salvini and firemouth that live with the GT.

Like I said, the festae didn't back down, he fought back all the way, surprisingly though the GT seemed physically stronger and that little bit more furious. ALthough he looks smaller, he's quite a thick bulky fish for a 2.5 incher. The RT came away with a more bruised face and torn fins. He's fine now though, back in the big tank eating again.

I'm juts gonna have to hope he's fine with my evil papyrocranus afer and hope he grows soon.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Just like any other combination of aggressive fish it depends on the individual fish. You may have a not so aggressive RT and a very aggressive GT. It all dpends on the individual fish not the type of fish. Remember the old saying, "it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog" or fish in this instance.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
cichlid - absolutely, that's why I was wondering who is normally the aggressor. I don't have a nancy of a festae, he is quite aggressive, but the little GT is flat out furious.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
My point exactly that GT might just be a beast. While the RT is no punk he may have just met his match.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store