Redtail Catfish and Spotted Gar

Wabbabe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2024
If you are buying a young “spotted gar”, most likely it’s a mislabeled Florida gar. Florida gars generally only reach 18”-24” in captivity. Unless you catch yourself a 30”+ Florida or Spotted gar from the wild, I wouldn’t recommend mixing it with an adult RTC. (I don’t know much about the catfish but I’ve seen how massive they can get). Gator gar would probably be a better option with RTC (most common combo for people with monster tanks/ponds). Realistically, gator gars will max around 3.5-5 ft in captivity given the proper space. Gator gars are expected to live over 100 years so they’ll probably still continue to grow quite a bit in their 4th/5th year. Generally speaking, a full grown gator gar should be ok with a full grown spotted or Florida gar. Gars generally are not cannibalistic as adults unless it is starving there’s nothing else to eat (I.e you’re not feeding them).
Thank you for the info, I am gonna lay off the RTC then, is there anyone here who knows a lot about big cats? Is there any others that wouldn’t eat the spotted, but have the enthusiasm as an RTC? I really enjoy their behaviors and looks, but don’t like the other effects of them in the tank. Would a hybrid grow as much?

Wabbabe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2024
Also does it depend on the catfish’s behavior? Are some RTCs cool and will not eat the florida gar? Is there primal instinct to eat just how it is going to be with them?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You're getting good advice above overall. I'd recommend to try a gator gar with an RTC as you had been planning, because I love monsters (hence my name) and like your enthusiasm, but I've only kept them together for a few years and had no problems. RTCs were 2.5ft. Gars were 2.5ft. IDK what happens when the RTCs are 3, 3.5 and 4ft while the gars remain the same or lag behind at 2.5, 3. 3.5ft, but if you are buying a color morph RTC then again, you may be right and they would grow to smaller maxes, no one really knows because the plat RTCs, phantoms, etc. haven't been around long enough yet. I'd expect them to grow slower and smaller and live shorter as their genetics is compromised. I am not a morph fan at all though. wednesday13 wednesday13 is :)

Gars seem to not eat gars, even of different species, as Hao said, IME too.

TSN and TSNxRTC of 2.5ft of ours ate some 2ft FL/spotted gars and longnose gars of ours before we knew better... but again, not RTC, which I cannot promise would never happen.

Yes personalities of RTCs and all fish vary but in terms of preying, it only affects chances and times, it'd not be safe and not safe categories.

Wabbabe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2024
You're getting good advice above overall. I'd recommend to try a gator gar with an RTC as you had been planning, because I love monsters (hence my name) and like your enthusiasm, but I've only kept them together for a few years and had no problems. RTCs were 2.5ft. Gars were 2.5ft. IDK what happens when the RTCs are 3, 3.5 and 4ft while the gars remain the same or lag behind at 2.5, 3. 3.5ft, but if you are buying a color morph RTC then again, you may be right and they would grow to smaller maxes, no one really knows because the plat RTCs, phantoms, etc. haven't been around long enough yet. I'd expect them to grow slower and smaller and live shorter as their genetics is compromised. I am not a morph fan at all though. wednesday13 wednesday13 is :)

Gars seem to not eat gars, even of different species, as Hao said, IME too.

TSN and TSNxRTC of 2.5ft of ours ate some 2ft FL/spotted gars and longnose gars of ours before we knew better... but again, not RTC, which I cannot promise would never happen.

Yes personalities of RTCs and all fish vary but in terms of preying, it only affects chances and times, it'd not be safe and not safe categories.
Thank you very much for the info. I appreciate all of it. I really wanna make sure the fish are compatible as I shouldn’t buy em if I do not have the right tankmates and such for them. I will probably be buying the gator gar and RTC as from what I read if i’m not mistaken, once they mature growth slows rapidly? Also would grow out for about 6-7 months in a 300 be fine for them? Just have to finish some stuff to begin on the big one. Would getting a gator gar and RTC at same time be good? Or would one out grow other and devour em? Furthermore, what tank mates are fine for them? Unless a 2000 gallon is only enough for one RTC and one gator gar. Also would I need a height around 48 inches? Or do I need more length and width for comfort?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store