Redtail catfish mixed with Lima catfish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Saw this on exotic fish shop but not sure. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Fishman Dave Fishman Dave

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Redtail Cat - 5 feet

Sorubim lima - 2 feet

Therefore, Redtail X Lima = 5 X 2 = 10 Feet

Get a big tank. Next question? :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Redtail Cat - 5 feet

Sorubim lima - 2 feet

Therefore, Redtail X Lima = 5 X 2 = 10 Feet

Get a big tank. Next question? :)
Lol....that’s some math!

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Jeez...do I have to do all the work around here?

Redtail cat adult size, minimum tank would probably be at least 750 gallon.

Lima shovelnose, adult, would probably need minimum 200 gallons.

So, once again, 750 X 200 = 150,000 gallons minimum for the hybrid.

This isn't rocket science...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From the looks of this fish, the maternal species is lima shovelnose, as hybrids inherit more of the maternal features than paternal features, including size. So I'd guess it would not exceed 2' or not by much.

I'd also mention that this hybrid has been known for a long time, a decade or longer and the fact that it has never taken off in the fashion of TSNxRTC and TSNxLeiarius to me says that they are not viable, which in turn means that they stand a zero to little chance to reach adulthood or live a long enough life.

Which serves its producers, sellers and buyers right, in my humble opinion.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
How are these things created? Are the eggs and sperm manually stripped off the adult fish and then mixed together, like they do for salmon? And...why? Most of these critters are not nearly as attractive as either parent; is this just another case of "...because I can!"?????

...they stand a zero to little chance to reach adulthood or live a long enough life.

Which serves its producers, sellers and buyers right, in my humble opinion.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
These have originally been experimented with at the fish farm labs in South America, researching food fish. Yes, in vitro, in a Petri dish. I believe the correct term is milt for what is forcefully squeezed out of a male.

Ornamental fish trade used to get some results of these experiments. Nowadays, it might be attempted in SE Asia too specifically for the ornamental fish trade.

Doesn't matter to me, it's an abominable practice. Just my ethics-based opinion, no one needs to share but I am glad you do. There are others who I respect and place way above myself, who are excited by this, such as our beloved recently resurrected Cliff-Lazarus necrocanis necrocanis ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store