Request: Post which terrestrial plants you've used in tanks

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
Hello everyone,

Since the last thread I started concerning this here I've learned a lot more but there's still a lot left to learn. I also realized I've posted this in the completely wrong category.

I've started compiling a list (this time a spreadsheet I can edit as I still learn more) of every genus, their species and varieties able to grow hydroponic and should be fish safe. Once it's a bit more complete I'll be sharing the spreadsheet.

What I've finished listing or still plan on listing are:
Epipremnum
Syngonium
Monstera
Dieffenbachia
Aglaomena
Chlorophytum
Dracaena
Philodendron
Sapthiphyllum
Bromelia
Calathea
Ctenante
Colocasia
Junclus
Cyperus
Anthurium
Orchis
Begonia
Ananas

If there's more, let me know!

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Hello everyone,

Since the last thread I started concerning this here I've learned a lot more but there's still a lot left to learn. I also realized I've posted this in the completely wrong category.

I've started compiling a list (this time a spreadsheet I can edit as I still learn more) of every genus, their species and varieties able to grow hydroponic and should be fish safe. Once it's a bit more complete I'll be sharing the spreadsheet.

What I've finished listing or still plan on listing are:
Epipremnum
Syngonium
Monstera
Dieffenbachia
Aglaomena
Chlorophytum
Dracaena
Philodendron
Sapthiphyllum
Bromelia
Calathea
Ctenante
Colocasia
Junclus
Cyperus
Anthurium
Orchis
Begonia
Ananas

If there's more, let me know!
I would like to add Canna indica to the list. However, it's important to note that this plant does best in strong direct sunlight. There are mixed opinions about its performance in ponds/tanks: some people report that it thrives, while others have experienced issues with it rotting or just barely surviving without significant growth.

I have planted it in my pond, and the results have been mixed. The larger Canna showed signs of rotting, while the smaller one began to grow new roots and exhibited no signs of rotting. This suggests that planting Canna indica at smaller sizes might allow it to adapt better to pond/tank conditions.

Reactions: Joseppe

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The island where I live (Taboga) has been a stop off spot going back to Pizzarro on his way to S America, pirates like Capt Morgan, to GI out posts in WWII, and modern day emigres from China to Venezuela, , and each have left some fingerprints here in the form of invasive plants.
IMG_0775.jpegIMG_0707.jpeg
IMG_0494.jpeg
For me this has been the abiltiy to try and number of terrestrial (and even few aquatic) plants in my tanks for almost free, with little to no consequences.
One of the local guys who live near the forest bring a different wild (or feral) plant or fruit amost every other day.
Lately he has been collecting some Lemon Grass, so a swath has been plopped in my cichlid tank, on a piece of drift wood, to grow of not.
IMG_8937.jpegIMG_8934.jpeg
It's been propped up on the chunk of drift wood for about a week now, and as time goes by, if it works, or not, we will soon find out

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store