Ripsaw Catfish

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
From the photos I would agree on Hassar cat. Better photo of the dorsal fin should confirm and a better pic should help id which one or indeed which other doradid if not.
Unfortunately we are seeing more and more mis identification nowadays.
being the consumer I thought I had ordered a medium sized wide head cat (Clarotes laticeps) just last week for £36 and when I got to the lfs that had ordered it for me they had in the tank a 2" albino clarias batrachus. Even the lfs did not realize it wasn't the fish I ordered. of course I refused to pay £ 36 for the £2 clarias.

Last edited:

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
The fish from EFS's Steve is like yours, may or may not be the exact species as yours.

You leaving the seller alone is a honorable, kind thing. No one was suggesting otherwise.

People experienced in the hobby know that vendors rarely concern themselves with exact species ID. Only few vendors do this and they deal in rare fish, so the ID better be right. Otherwise, they have no time, energy, or interest, or monetary gain in it. They receive fish by thousands. They just go by the exporter's fish list names. The exporters vary in their level of fish ID knowledge and can, and often do, call the fish by local and/or vernacular names, often meaningless, like turushuki, or bacu, etc. - names used for MANY similar fish in that geographical locale.

They could have called it a thorn-not-in-the-butt-but-along-side armored prehistoric hacksaw suckermouth sifter antipredatory catfish, and no one would care along the supply chain until it reached the consumer, who must know how to care for it.

Buyers must make sure they know what they are buying IMHumbleO. Request photos ahead of buying. Post them here if unsure. As simple as that. Basic primitive homework... and then growth in the knowledge and the hobby ensues, and we all learn and share and enjoy the hobby together much more so than each alone and separate.
+1 this is very true. This happens to pet stores selling bichirs as well. A lot of cb bichirs in the hobby are from Indonesia, and in Indonesia, Polypterus=Palmas. This creates confusion because the sellers just go by the exporters' terminology. That is why many species of Polypterus (especially ecotype "lapradei") are sold as palmas which is incorrect terminology here, but it is correct terminology in Indonesia. Unfortunatly, palmas is also a species of Polypterus which does not make the situation any better.

dthatcherjr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
The fish from EFS's Steve is like yours, may or may not be the exact species as yours.

You leaving the seller alone is a honorable, kind thing. No one was suggesting otherwise.

People experienced in the hobby know that vendors rarely concern themselves with exact species ID. Only few vendors do this and they deal in rare fish, so the ID better be right. Otherwise, they have no time, energy, or interest, or monetary gain in it. They receive fish by thousands. They just go by the exporter's fish list names. The exporters vary in their level of fish ID knowledge and can, and often do, call the fish by local and/or vernacular names, often meaningless, like turushuki, or bacu, etc. - names used for MANY similar fish in that geographical locale.

They could have called it a thorn-not-in-the-butt-but-along-side armored prehistoric hacksaw suckermouth sifter antipredatory catfish, and no one would care along the supply chain until it reached the consumer, who must know how to care for it.

Buyers must make sure they know what they are buying IMHumbleO. Request photos ahead of buying. Post them here if unsure. As simple as that. Basic primitive homework... and then growth in the knowledge and the hobby ensues, and we all learn and share and enjoy the hobby together much more so than each alone and separate.
I think your making a lot of assumptions. The seller in question is one of the most highly recognized people in the trade . Number two I don’t care how experienced you are in the hobby you can not know every fish and you have bad days .I suspect he just missed it due to the cancer. He has always been spot on in any exotic request . I just happened to stop by his shop that day before he shutdown to fight it . I bought a few fish that day more expensive and was focused on them . I tried to buy as much as I could to help him . Honestly, I sometimes forget I had this guy as he hides . I finally got around to getting on here and asking the people that own these fish. I now regret even asking the question . Have a great day your Highness King of the keyboard .

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for putting me back in my place. I appreciate it.

I wasn't criticizing you but speaking in general on the topics raised and working with the face value of the info you provided. Mostly making a conversation. I am sorry I pushed your buttons, I guess, I could see how you took it personally. I will make it a point in the future to only answer directly posed questions when it comes to you posts. Or you can advise me to stay away altogether. It'd be respected.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store