Rtc x tsn hybrid breeding question

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
Now to make this fish you need a redtail catfish and a tiger shovelnose catfish. Now I've read that these don't breed naturally that people take the eggs and sperm and fertilize them themselves. Now what I was wondering is I've read somewhere that one has to be the female and one has to be male for the fry to come out correct but I haven't found if the red tail has to be the female or the tsn has to be the female. Does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Any insight on breeding a rtc and tsn
Just as the OP stated above. It can only be done artificially in a petri dish. IIRC both parents are injected via syringe with an extract from the pituitary gland of carp, develop eggs and milt, and are then squeezed /dissected and die violently or maybe they have improved the procedure since. All in all, this is a patented and veiled commercial know-how. Never was interested much in this as I stand against such things.

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
Oh I agree 100% I was just curious to see if my normal red tail cat and normal tiger shovelnose would ever mate just by chance

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter don't think the fish die from the eggs extraction, they just sedated the fish. Large fish takes time to mature, don't think they waste their breeder fish like that.

Droptopwop Droptopwop most large catfish are migratory, they need to migrate up river to breed. All hybrids are artificial, but there's a few hybrids does happen in the wild but between genus

Reactions: Droptopwop

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
This is why I love mfk you so much info it rediculios I love it just suck that these amazing fish are hybrids

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Brazil is the pioneering country to breeding hybrids, the name of this hybrid is Cachapira, is necessary to euthanize the male to extract the testis after than inject SPE "Salmon Pituitary Extract" from Chum Salmon with an initial dose as a Provocative Dose at the rate of 2-3 mg. of salmon pituitary gland per kg body weightis administered to the TSN female only with stripping after 6-8 hours. In case the condition of any one of the RTCs two males is not found in the freely oozing stage, an initial injection - provocative dose may be administered to the male RTC at the rate of 2-3 mg/ kg body weight after 6 - 8 hours, a second dose of 5-8 mg/kg body weight is given to the female, while both the males receive the first or second dose at the rate of 2-3 mg/kg body weight with euthanize them, the female just stripping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store