Saltwater flowerhorn

jr monster fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
Fox island wa
I found these old pics and was wondering, is it a hoax or could someone adapt a flowerhorn to salt? It would look awesome next to a cowfish or angelfish. Has anyone tried this? Idk, any thoughts?

Patatl3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta
Wow... sounds kinda hoaxy to me. Ive drip acclimated Black mollys, Green spot puffers, figure eight puffers, columbian sharks(black tip catfish) to saltwater with no prob. but ive never heard of a flowerhorn. Anythings possible though Ive seen a co-worker give CPR to a dead angelfish and it come back to life, so no telling. If its real it prob didnt live for long.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
This could be done. However! It's such a slow process and it would probably cut the fishes life in half if not more.

You'd have to start by putting the fish in saltwater for 5-10 minute periods probably everyother day. Then up the time and frequency until the fish is fully acclimated to the saltwater. I no a guy that did this but with a saltwater fish to fresh water. It was such a slow process. I think he did it in like 6 months.

Brackish water to fresh is way easier but will still cut the fishes life expectancy in half.

jr monster fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
Fox island wa
Ive read about people doing it with guppies. I guess you could put any fish in any water and it live long enough to get pictures. But id like to try it.

raymondk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
southern california
i say try with a less expencive fish than a flowerhorn

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
dont do flowerhorn.

The fish Pat spoke of can be transitioned to salt, but stay away from the horns or any other fish that arent salt/brackish adaptable. It's just stupidly retarded and pointless to do something like that to a fish that shouldn't be in salt.

Reactions: Bret Signorelli

fishnut

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
pa
brakish fish is one thing, but to do that to a fish that is solely fresh water is inhumane.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store