Saltwater flowerhorn

jr monster fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
Fox island wa
I didnt mean I wanted to do it with a flowerhorn, just wanted to do it in general. If I did it, it would probably be with a guppy or molly, or a puffer.

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
that's cool. Mollies can go brackish. I once had a leopard puffer I got as fresh and slowly over a very long time acclimated it to full salt. i loved that fish.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
orbit;3708496; said:
This could be done. However! It's such a slow process and it would probably cut the fishes life in half if not more.

You'd have to start by putting the fish in saltwater for 5-10 minute periods probably everyother day. Then up the time and frequency until the fish is fully acclimated to the saltwater. I no a guy that did this but with a saltwater fish to fresh water. It was such a slow process. I think he did it in like 6 months.

Brackish water to fresh is way easier but will still cut the fishes life expectancy in half.
good explanation Jesse I've also heard stories like this. It's like how half the freshwater puffers they sell at stores are really brackish. They don't tell people that before they sell them and people think they're okay but the fish will never thrive because the water chemistry is not right. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Like you said also it will cut the fishes life expectancy in half if not more.

If you're interested in a fish you can keep in fresh and saltwater look up uropthalmus / mayan / false red terrors.

festerfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
p town, oregon
jr monster fish;3708628; said:
I didnt mean I wanted to do it with a flowerhorn, just wanted to do it in general. If I did it, it would probably be with a guppy or molly, or a puffer.
thats diffrent, those spiecies evolved in flux conditions so there kidnys can keep up, but placing a flowerhorn or any other soft water fish is just crule. they would feel like crap and would die of kidny failer because they would be working over time and are not equiped to do that as salt water fish

cleavecex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
Bulgaria
bulletproof-web.com
Sorry to hear that Unwyred, but as I understand it saltwater aquariums arent especially easy to manage so I guess a certain number of losses are to be expected, from one reason or another...
But naturally, Ill continue to read the thread, and wish the both of you good luck with the endeavor, and keep us posted will ya...

e!o!z!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
I have heard of people giving freashwater fish a saltwater dip to get rid of pirisites could this be a picture of someone doing that?

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
that sucks for the fish I bet. Probably the longest torture any fish can have but it just cant tell you.

jr monster fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
Fox island wa
e!o!z!;3709008; said:
I have heard of people giving freashwater fish a saltwater dip to get rid of pirisites could this be a picture of someone doing that?
Isnt that a different kind of salt?

Joergemathew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
india
i am totally against it as each fish is meant to be kept in a particular kind of enviornment DO NOT BREAK THE RULES OF NATURE

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store