"Sangria" the monstafied ZZ makes his MFK debut

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
I bought a new camera this morning from Target. Its a Nikon L110, 12.1MP. Still learning how to take proper pictures with it, but the video works pretty well on it.

Heres Sangria. A 3 year old Thai ZZ. He is in the living room in a seamless 60gal. Theres another 60gal seamless in the living room that I will try to get a shot of later. He gets fed chingmix along with xo humpyhead. Also alot of frozens like shrimps, krill, and also live worms. He gets fired up when I mess with him as you can see in the video. I love the fins and tail on this boy. Like I said Im going to try to get a good video of the Kamfa later tonight.
Enjoy

[YT]p22k2zVU5aI[/YT]

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Thanks mate. My kamfa is scared to death of the camera, I think he remembers the flash. I will get some good shots of him here sooner or later.

RDFISHGUY

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
Red Deer, AB.
Nice ZZ!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Very nice! What's his total length?

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Id say 10-11in in totoal length. I got him 2 years ago and in the last year he has just really gotten pumped up and more red. I started out feeding him normal hikari and NLS, But then started reading into the forums online. I learned about better foods for FH so I tried beefing him up on Grand Sumo and after 2 weeks his head and colors exploded. Its remarkable what these foods can actually do to the quality of a FH. This guy had the genetics, just need to the good rich foods to bring it out.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's unfortunate that so many people buy into the FH food BS, as though FH require nutrients different from all other species of cichlids.

If you're happy with what you are doing, that's great, but there is nothing in any of the so called specialty FH foods that are "better" than what is found in any other high quality cichlid food. I've lost count as to how many show quality fish I have raised on an exclusive diet of NLS over the years. Long before most of these FH foods even existed.

Some FH simply blossom later in life, no matter what diet they are on.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Im not some sort of ChingMix/ Grand Sumo promotor. I didnt buy into anything, I used the product with great results and I continue to use the product and advise others to try it.

Your correct in saying they dont need different nutrients than say Amphilophus and Vieja, But I like my fish pumped, happy, and healthy. Chingmix is a strong rich enhancer food that shouldnt be used at every feeding.
NLS is great and my fish eats alot of it, but it doesnt contain the same amount of color enhancers, absorbors, and proteins. For example, its like 10 krill in 1 pellet. They also contain hormones which boost pretty much everything desirable, which arent necessarily all that good for the fish.
Genetics plays a huge part of appearance, then water conditions which is up there, and good food which maxs potential, Which is pretty much what all FH owners want, There fish at full potential.
Chingmix has been around awhile and has a great reputation. Flowerhorn enthusiasts arnt paying the prices they do for this food if it didnt do anything.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hey, if you're happy, then I'm happy for you. :)

Having said that, you are attempting to debate fish nutrition with someone who is more than qualified to formulate his own commercial food, at a national level. Haven't we already been down this path in the past?

NLS is great and my fish eats alot of it, but it doesnt contain the same amount of color enhancers, absorbors, and proteins. For example, its like 10 krill in 1 pellet. They also contain hormones which boost pretty much everything desirable, which arent necessarily all that good for the fish.
And this would be based on what, a gut feeling?

I'm not looking to derail your thread, you have a very nice looking fish, and I'm glad that you are enjoying it, and that it's happy. But if you would like to continue on with this discussion (possibly in a new thread) I would be more than happy to explain some of this in greater detail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store