Scientists Discover a Fish That Lives in Trees

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Found this article on mongabay. Thought I'd share. Who knew there was such a thing as an arboreal fish?

http://news.mongabay.com/2007/1017-killifish.html

Scientists have found a fish that literally lives in trees, according to research published in The American Naturalist and highlighted in New Scientist Magazine.

The mangrove killifish (Kryptolebias marmoratus), a small colorful fish found in mangrove swamps from central Florida to Brazil, can survive several months living inside pathways carved by insects in rotting logs. In surveys in Belize and Florida biologists found "hundreds of killifish lined up end to end, like peas in a pod," writes Elie Dolgin in New Scientist Magazine. The fish survive by "[remodeling] their gills to retain water and nutrients, and [adding] new proteins to their skin to excrete nitrogen waste." The species is also the only known hermaphrodite vertebrate that is capable of self-fertilization.

"They really don't meet standard behavioural criteria for fish," said Scott Taylor of the Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands Program in Florida, who reports the findings in an upcoming issue of The American Naturalist.

The adaptations help the killifish colonize new areas and explain why the species has such a large range says Dolgin.

-C

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
Ha! I knew it! My 3rd grade art teacher humiliated me when I drew a picture of a fish in a tree. IN YO FACE, MRS. LAMSON!

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
HarpoGarza;2754785; said:
Ha! I knew it! My 3rd grade art teacher humiliated me when I drew a picture of a fish in a tree. IN YO FACE, MRS. LAMSON!
May we see the picture you drew? :popcorn:

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
lol, that thing is looooong gone. 3rd grade was like 23 years ago for me. I can assure you, it was top notch.

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
:D
Very nice and very interesting to find such a unique species! WOW there might even be a chance where fish can live in deserts.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Someone posted some amazon river video's up on here not to long ago that showed this fish in action. The male and female jump out of the water and stick leaves and lay there eggs there. Then the male fish will jump out and splash the eggs every so often to keep them wet. Once they hatch out the fall in the water and it goes on like usual from there.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
hybridtheoryd16;2755421; said:
Someone posted some amazon river video's up on here not to long ago that showed this fish in action. The male and female jump out of the water and stick leaves and lay there eggs there. Then the male fish will jump out and splash the eggs every so often to keep them wet. Once they hatch out the fall in the water and it goes on like usual from there.
different fish.
youre thinking of splashing tetras.
cool read.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store