seachem purigen vs chemi pure/elite? witch is better

spotted-elk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
colorado
seachem purigen vs chemi pure/elite
Thinking of adding seachem purigen or chemi pure/elite to a new tank ill proly put it in a fluval 405 along with bio max. I was thinking of putting bio max in the bottom 3 trays an seachem purigen or chemi pure/elite in the top. Ive never used it b4 but herd good things im proly guna get few piranhas i no there messy witch one think work the best?

jft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
PA
I like chemipure elite for two reasons has GfO to remove PO4 and comes in its own bag so easy to use in a aquaclear filter I change out every four months The tank is always sparkling clear and no intrusive algae problems. Purigen is good but except for the smaller size does not haave its own bag, and while recharging is a plus for some aquarists I really do not encumber rhe aquarium keeping . Both products are good but after trying purigen and I do appreciate Seachem products I now use and went back to using chemipure exclusively in all my Marine and freshwater tanks. Good Luck>

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
I guess I'm not really sure which is better. I know chemipure is pretty expensive and purigen is pretty cheap. I'd say if you're willing to spend the money on chemipure or chemipure elite then get the purigen as well. It's cheap enough and it won't hurt to run both.

jft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
PA
Okay I do not follow this logic at all Chemipure is 11.95 a bottle at most MO places while Purigen runs 14 to 15 bucks for one 250 ml bottle and does not remove PO4 . Purigen is a very selective media for only organics while chemipure will last up to six months stabilize PH, remove organics and PO4 with the elite thereby in the long run be cheaper and a better buy Not to mention while Purigen is good it is bothersome to use, very small media to contain, works best in Reverse flow reactors and while good has not been around as long as Chemipure

soulpatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2010
Downingtown, PA
chemipure around me is $6 for a container that will treat all of 20 gallons vs. purigen that will treat 250 gallons for all of $13...or a prepacked filter bag of purigen for like $7 that treats 100 gallons....

jft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
PA
Yeah really but what about the extra cost run in a media fluidizedreactor and I do not know how you get your products but I buy chemipure Mo for 4.50 cents and get 12 at a time each one treating 40 gallons , now they make larger sizes up to 250 gallons for 20 dollars and I filter three tanks of 100 gallons each for a full year changing out every six months to a fresh three bag combo essentially lasting for One full year. Purigen only removes Organics and never for me lasted as long as chemipure nor stabilized PH in marine, discus or freshwater tanks like chemipure and I guess its all in your perspective but Honestly I love chemipure over them all and I tried them all, 40 plus yrs of a track record makes me believe at least for my tanks is the way to go. So Good luck Purigen is a good product but to search for media bags, then have to regenerate and even have the folks from seachem admit it works best when it is fluidized just is not worth the time or extra expense. TO EACH HIS OWN, Or CADA LOCO CON SU TEMA.

soulpatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2010
Downingtown, PA
Where do you buy it at for those prices? Your in PA as well so curious. TPP is what i quoted as being around 5-6 for a small container...

jft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
PA
I have connections in the area after 35 yrs as An Aquarist . I also am not afraid to put MO places at their word to honor their or beat competitors prices and recently got 12 Chemipure elite for less than 100 dollars and FREE SHIPPING bet That fish place will not beat That.

soulpatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2010
Downingtown, PA
never said TPP would beat it. Was more or less curious if it was a store you were gtting it from that cheap. Though as you say it is your connections and thus not normal pricing if I read that right. In that case then you cost comparisons dont make any sense if the rest of us could not get it for that low of a price...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store