Sewellia Lineolata - Hillstream Loach Breeding Log 1

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Love the updates, thanks for the new pics!

Reactions: cockroach

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I love these tanks and fish. A perfect reminder that small fish are every bit as interesting as larger ones; don't need to be "monsters".

I say this whenever I see a biotope-type tank that I like, but...I really, really need to try one of these set-ups. I'm toying with the idea of installing it above a larger "normal" tank, and re-routing the sump return to flow through the length of the rheophilic tank before draining into the main tank at the other end.

When you mention finding fry in other tanks, do you mean that the fry have managed to work their way through the overflow drains and into other parts of the system?

Reactions: deeda

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I love these tanks and fish. A perfect reminder that small fish are every bit as interesting as larger ones; don't need to be "monsters".

I say this whenever I see a biotope-type tank that I like, but...I really, really need to try one of these set-ups. I'm toying with the idea of installing it above a larger "normal" tank, and re-routing the sump return to flow through the length of the rheophilic tank before draining into the main tank at the other end.

When you mention finding fry in other tanks, do you mean that the fry have managed to work their way through the overflow drains and into other parts of the system?
Thanks. I changed to smaller fish after my 310gal and haven't looked back. Less work and way more enjoyable.

You must try a biotope. They are really rewarding when planned well. Your idea was something was planning until I downsized the tanks to smaller sizes and more of them. It could work very well and even be designed as part of the filtration for the larger tank.

Yes, these fish can climb vertically with a thin film of water only. The fry can get through small holes etc. In my tanks, which are connected, this seemed easier for them. I have seen some guys haul them out of canister filters. I haven't ever looked in my sump to see if any made it.

What species are you "toying with idea" if you decide to set up the tank?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Actually, the same one you have! The Sewellia are calling me; I have never even seen a live one, and don't order fish online, so it's been pretty easy to resist so far. :) I also have several Panda Garras in one of my tanks that would be well-suited to this type of set-up.

I always tell myself that my next tank will be a biotope...but then time passes and stock changes and I corrupt that idea. I put in fish from one area...and then add fish with similar requirement but from a different area of the same continent...and end up with more fish from halfway around the world in there.

My 360 started with a couple species of Gymnogeophagus from Uruguay and environs...quickly got an infusion of Goodeids from Central America...and now also has a school of Odessa Barbs and the Pandas. I've even been thinking of adding some Danios just to have more surface activity.

The closest I have come to actual biotope tanks is some native tanks I had in the past, populated with fish I collected myself locally. I have considered doing a rheophile tank with darters...but having moved to a different province almost a decade ago, my current locale is sorely lacking in darter species, at least compared to where I lived before. Also, I would want the darters in cooler water than my other fish, so couldn't add their tank into my existing system; it would need to be a stand-alone, which calls for a lot more work, more space, more...more...more...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishman Dave

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
When I rescaped the top tank with most of the sewellia in it, I decided to split them up according to pattern and try concentrate efforts on certain strains.
Now all 3 tanks have sewellia and I will see how it goes. Also, there were quite a few fry that I decided to catch and grow out in another tank once I can see which pattern they are, I can add them back to the correct tank.

The fry
20211106_222011.jpg20211106_222016.jpg20211106_222037.jpg20211106_222043.jpg20211106_222104.jpg

Taiwanese micro dragon goby.
20211106_222117.jpg20211106_222126.jpg

The rack now
20211106_222338.jpg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I got new test strips this past Friday and did my rounds on my tanks. 3 of the tanks are going to need me to bust out the proper test kits as there seems to be a slowly rising nitrate value. Will get a more accurate picture and then fix it.
20211212_153536.jpg

I strongly feel the almost 3 year old sump has something to do with it. As soon as I got new filter pads I am going to remove all media and drain the tank, siphon and reassemble. That should do the trick.
The PITA is the sump is on the floor so a regular gravity syphon won't do. I may need a pump or a scoop to see if there are fry in there or not.
20211212_153550.jpg20211212_153547.jpg

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store