SH in the Philippines

fishyguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
Manila, Philippines
The Philippines has 3 species of snakeheads... Locally known as "Dalag" or "Bulig" in some parts of the country, and a host of other names.... after all we have about 7100 islands...

Snakeheads are locally considered a food fish.

The most common species is the C. striata. This is available in most fish markets and may be seen or caught in most freshwater waters.... from narrow canals to rivers.

C melasoma and C maculata are said to be native species but I have never seen one alive, dead in the fish market or at the end of my fishing line...

In the aquarium hobby, the only species offered is the C micropeltes. This was introduced in the hobby since the early 1980s. For about 20 years this has been the only species offered to local hobbyists.

The past 2 years, I have been involved in the local aquarium industry and have offered Filipino hobbyists with the following:

C. bleheri

C. sp Assam

C. burmanica?

This was sold to me as C. burmanica.... but many have said it is not... anyone pls care to properly identify?

C. aurantimaculata

My favorite....

C. panaw

C. marulia

C. lucia

C. pleurophthalma

P. obscura

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
how much for
C. bleheri
C. sp Assam

i already have ur number just want price for those 2

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
hello mate ,all id's are correct apart from the burmanica , the burmanica is a new species that has been exported worldwide as burmanica , but is suspected to be a gachua or stewarti varient. but tests are still being carried out to determine

this is the true channa burmanica -http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/at...0&d=1116683684 it is very closly related to channa belheri

very nice pics by the way

cheers col

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Way cool! Nice pics!

fishyguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
Manila, Philippines
tropheus;2993670; said:
hello mate ,all id's are correct apart from the burmanica , the burmanica is a new species that has been exported worldwide as burmanica , but is suspected to be a gachua or stewarti varient. but tests are still being carried out to determine

this is the true channa burmanica -http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/at...0&d=1116683684 it is very closly related to channa belheri

very nice pics by the way

cheers col

been searching for info about the burmanica and ended up empty... Thanks for the pic buddy....

actually 2 of the 9 species were mislabeled when I got them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store