philippines
Hey fishyguy, i like your collection. Where do you get them? :D

Jungle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
Philippines
fishyguy;2992944; said:
The Philippines has 3 species of snakeheads... Locally known as "Dalag" or "Bulig" in some parts of the country, and a host of other names.... after all we have about 7100 islands...

Snakeheads are locally considered a food fish.

The most common species is the C. striata. This is available in most fish markets and may be seen or caught in most freshwater waters.... from narrow canals to rivers.

C melasoma and C maculata are said to be native species but I have never seen one alive, dead in the fish market or at the end of my fishing line...

In the aquarium hobby, the only species offered is the C micropeltes. This was introduced in the hobby since the early 1980s. For about 20 years this has been the only species offered to local hobbyists.

The past 2 years, I have been involved in the local aquarium industry and have offered Filipino hobbyists with the following:

C. bleheri

C. sp Assam

C. burmanica?

This was sold to me as C. burmanica.... but many have said it is not... anyone pls care to properly identify?

C. aurantimaculata

My favorite....

C. panaw

C. marulia

C. lucia

C. pleurophthalma

P. obscura

:naughty: I see what you've been up to during the Holy Week, wish you still had some more Burmanica's :headbang2

fishyguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
Manila, Philippines
Jungle;3009145; said:
:naughty: I see what you've been up to during the Holy Week, wish you still had some more Burmanica's :headbang2
Realistically, I think some of the suppliers don't really know what burmanicas look like....

best bet is Pulchras.... arriving next week.:) But you better let me know because I have my eyes set on other fishes.... Just got my Hoplias malabaricus today

jk41589

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
philippines
They're just too awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store