Sick fish isolated, worried about others. Several deaths over past few months.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
Less than 10, been doing water change every other day since latest issues
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I'm not even sure what to post but I'm worried about my tank and figure I can log what's going on and maybe get some feedback. You can skip the history part as it's long but I also included to go e some context.

I moved this rainbow into QT June 18. I had just gotten back from being gone for a week with auto feeder. I did water change June 17 and June 18, I noticed he had this growth. He had scratched his side a few weeks before but the wound didn't look infected. (I have since read that sometimes they get itchy and scratchy themselves from being ill).

Edit: used other phone to attach

IMG_20240618_134116.jpgIMG_20240618_134243.jpgIMG_20240623_215337.jpg
Top two were when I first noticed growth and took him out. Third was yesterday in QT. It does appear to have shrunk.

Also, I'm doing a water change and moving this rainbow out. I should have moved him out sooner but I knew he had damage from being fin nipped (saw a rainbow doing it several weeks ago). Now that I see how it appears infected, I feel like an idiot for not moving him out sooner. It looks similar to the damage of another rainbow listed in the history below.

PXL_20240623_222423606.MP.jpg
So those two fish are isolated. The white on first fish seems to have shrunk over 6 days of 4 tablespoons salt in 10g. Not sure if I should try meds or just wait or add more salt.

Problem is I'm paranoid now with main tank. I see this mark on this female that could be just from accidentally hitting something or could be the star is something m
PXL_20240624_194229347~2.jpg

Also this clown loach looks like he cut himself or another clown accidentally damaged him when they were both going after a wafer. It seems unchanged in a few days (I think that happens Thursday and it's Monday.

Edit:
Pic of cut? On clown loach
IMG_20240621_172824.jpg
IMG_20240621_182120.jpg
This is in my tank with my two clown loaches I had since 95 and 5 clown loaches I had since 2018 so I want to have a plan in case whole tank ends up being sick.

To summarize, what I currently have done is moved that blackish finned rainbow (well he's in a bucket but getting moved after I post this). The one with white on dorsal is in a QT tank with salt as I described.

Edit:
I guess I'll watch the brownish female rainbow And clown loach to see if they get better or worse. I just noticed a dority mail has either a mark on his side fin or is developing something. Can't really get a pic of it but I'll watch that.

I have new kanaplex and Jungle Clear fungus tabs (a seemingly knowledgeable poster has a treatment involving those two meds for columnaris which he's had success with).

Again, appreciate any feedback or advice. Thanks.

History:
I had a few newer rainbows (input them in around Dec of last year). I figured they were just getting beat up as I lost the three female melanatania splendida over a two month period. On had swim bladder issues and the other two just were dead suddenly.

Later, I discovered this rainbow I posted about that looked like he had some bacterial issues. I think the advice in the thread was working as the area got better but he died last month, I think maybe bc I did not have an automatic feeder for his tank and had to leave for a week.

I lost two six year old Millennium rainbows this month. One was in quarantine since March 30 in salt. I can post pics but don't want this to be too long.

The other one I had separated bc its tails was getting nipped. He actually healed up and was back in the tank. He was in QT with a panda garra and dority rainbow from mid Jan to mid March. The dority died but I think he was just old and was blind in one eye. The other four I got with him had died over the years with the female dying end of last year.

Millennium that just died didn't look good for last week. He was swimming slow and it looked like he had marks from being sucked on and I confirmed Sunday when I saw a panda garra sucking on him and two clown loaches nipping at him.

I attempted to move him but he died while being moved so I think he was already in bad shape but might have just been sick from being old and susceptible.

Last edited:

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
This guy been moved. I cleaned outside glass after this pics. Better than the one I posted but obviously shows the fin nipped areas got infected. I have kanaplex that expired months ago and am getting new container in tomorrow so will probably just wait. I put 4 tablespoons of salt in this one as well. I should have moved him awhile ago.

The other male I had like this got nipped too just like this. I caught a Deep water creek male billing at this one awhile ago.

I probably would just stick to millennium, dority and praecox rainbows in the future, assuming my main tank survived whatever is going on with these two isolated fish. I had losses with them but it usually seemed to be from some swim bladder issue. These Upper Katherine river rainbows and the Australis and my batch of deep water creek (I had them before but they weren't this aggressive).

I feel bad for this one and the one similar that died bc I'm the big tank, they were otherwise active and eating well. I think that's why I was hesitant to move this one over.

IMG_20240624_204652.jpgIMG_20240624_204623.jpg

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I guess the good news is I'm less concerned about the clown loach. It's hard to see on pics, but i think it is a cut and it seems to be a little less noticable so I think it's healing.
PXL_20240625_195721689.jpgPXL_20240625_193950058.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid but noticed this on this dority that I already thought might have a mark on its side fins. But they could also be from running into stuff. These rainbows do dart around. If I had an extra tank, maybe I'd just move him and do light salt treatment but the two 10g have fish that definitely have something wrong with them.

I guess I just see if it gets worse.. I'm worried it's like the mark on the millennium in March. It looked like it ran into something and then the skin fell off but it also could have been a lesion that erupted.

I guess if the Dority erupts or gets more marks, then I should take him out for sure.

Dority mark today. I put blue above the area and croped the pic.
PXL_20240625_192503382_exported_366_1719343633901~2.jpg

This is a millennium that died two weeks ago in QT. That skin eventually fell off. Long story on him.
PXL_20240329_184651615~2.jpg

Last edited:

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Updates:
Started kanaplex on the black finned rainbow with the reddish area Tues afternoon.

I thought the one with white spot near dorsal fin was getting better as that growth had shrunk to a tiny dot but I think I see white on a fin now. I'll try to get a pic later. If that fish doesn't improve by next week or gets worse, I guess I'll try the Jungle Fungus Clear treatment that arrived yesterday.

I feel slightly better about the main tank. I may have been overreacting about the spot on hump as that seems to be fine. Still a possible white mark on side fin, but again could be just slight damage.
PXL_20240626_190750712.MP.jpg

This green one seems the same. Doesn't seem sick. So maybe this mark will go away?

PXL_20240626_191146904.MP.jpg

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I was editing the last post but it was over 15 mins. Got a pic of the white back spot rainbow.

I didn't notice this spot on side fin but this fish always has this side facing back of the tank unless it's behind the filters. He was out front so I was able to get this from the side at a diagonal angle. I guess the plan is the same, if no change by this time next week or if it gets worse, I guess I try the meds.PXL_20240626_193432346.PORTRAIT.jpg

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Main tank:
Red stripe dority has nothing really noticable on him. Maybe still a tiny mark on side fins. Clown loach looks almost healed up. There is another clown loach that looks very similar and I can barely see the cut so I think he'll be fine.

That green one still has that mark or growth but I guess I'll just keep water changing unless it gets worse.

Qt:
Whatever white was one side fin looks gone. That white mark is a tiny dot now on the back.
PXL_20240627_203810715.MP.jpg

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
This clown loach looks almost fully healed.

PXL_20240628_235814393.MP.jpg

The white back rainbow mark looks even smaller.

The black finned rainbow has 3rd dose due Saturday afternoon. I'll try to get a pic but based on my other thread, I was advised that if first dose didn't fully cure the issue, that I should go ahead and treat the max 3 treatments.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I created a new thread from that female that had a possible white mark. She developed this bloody looking patch on her gill like she had several weeks ago (but that went away).

Also, I posted that in the new thread but got a response on Aquarium Co-op forum that all this could be Mycobacteriosis. That can get through quarantine and can't really be treated but the levels can be reduced apparently by keeping the water clean, UV sterilizer and taking our really sick fish.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/39142-red-blood-marks-on-gills-and-white-marks/#comment-375186

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
This guy been moved. I cleaned outside glass after this pics. Better than the one I posted but obviously shows the fin nipped areas got infected. I have kanaplex that expired months ago and am getting new container in tomorrow so will probably just wait. I put 4 tablespoons of salt in this one as well. I should have moved him awhile ago.

The other male I had like this got nipped too just like this. I caught a Deep water creek male billing at this one awhile ago.

I probably would just stick to millennium, dority and praecox rainbows in the future, assuming my main tank survived whatever is going on with these two isolated fish. I had losses with them but it usually seemed to be from some swim bladder issue. These Upper Katherine river rainbows and the Australis and my batch of deep water creek (I had them before but they weren't this aggressive).

I feel bad for this one and the one similar that died bc I'm the big tank, they were otherwise active and eating well. I think that's why I was hesitant to move this one over.

View attachment 1544477View attachment 1544478
I guess this one is better after 3 x Kanaplex but hard to tell
Seems less red

PXL_20240702_182028694.MP.jpgPXL_20240702_182013925.jpg

I just did a small water change. I need to change our half to get an exact dose of salt but it's probably at about 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons.

Edit:
I shined my phone flashlight on him and it definitely looks better than before the treatment. I guess I just have to watch and see.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I guess this one is better after 3 x Kanaplex but hard to tell
Seems less red

View attachment 1544906View attachment 1544907

I just did a small water change. I need to change our half to get an exact dose of salt but it's probably at about 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons.

Edit:
I shined my phone flashlight on him and it definitely looks better than before the treatment. I guess I just have to watch and see.
Good update.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store