Silver arowana gender please

Getbackca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
I have seen many silver arowana 12 to 16 inches..they have short and long fins..but short means not behind the anus...they r short enough to reach till the anus and longer means too long...let me check a video or pic..will share it

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Getbackca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
Have u ever come across arowana which have 1 short fin and second long fin? Will that be male?

Screenshot_20211101-083037_Video Player.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
One was likely bitten off a bit. So the remaining longer one is the one to go by.

I don't know about young arowana yet, I've not looked into it whether my hypothesis holds in the young, immature silver arowana. I thought you were looking into it to see if their pelvic fins and extensions are all the same length more or less, or not.

Reactions: Getbackca

Getbackca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
Thanks for the reply..yes i checked many videos..in immature silver arowanas i saw long and short (TBTB edit: pelvic) fins..but..in both the cases it exceeds the anus..so usually people say..longed ones r male and short ones r female which cannot be true..and some people checks the "A" marking on the face..

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see. Thank you. So then my strawman hypothesis is only applicable to mature adults, if to any. This answers your question when you could know your arowana gender. The answer is after sexual maturity. Again, if we go on my posited hypothesis.

Reactions: Getbackca

Getbackca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
Yes, i guess..were u able to see short finned males at 16 inches?

In this video u can see that both r females...if u look closely u can see bother have the same long lower jaws...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
With the silver arowana we had grown from babies and those we had rescued early on, I wasn't paying attention as they were growing up. Only once they started breeding for us, as a surprise, did I start attempting to see if I could tell males from females. The half a dozen rescue silver arowana that have been coming to us in the recent years at 1'-2' all have had long pelvic fin extensions, which I don't know yet how to explain - whether they have all been females accidentally or whether the fin length changes only after reaching sexual maturity.

BTW, I have not analyzed the A crease, which could have been my oversight, inconsequential of not, IDK. The A crease doesn't seem reliable from the reports of others, including that photo of the Asian arowana you posted.

As for this video, we don't know which arowana laid these eggs to be sure at least that that particular arowana is the female. The first appearing arowana has longer fins indeed, the other has the fins on the border between long and short, so I'd not be so quick in saying both are females. The non-egg-layer could have been an immature male. Or, alternatively, laying eggs in a 55 gal tank is kind of strange for silver arowana, exceedingly little room, so the male might have been too stressed to fertilize the eggs and take them in the mouth, or stunted, or else... That is if the other is a male. If a female, then it is also and easily understood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store