smallest tank to keep a bichir in

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
I actually have a 4 of their (48x18x13) 50 gallon longs since I only keep 1-2 smaller bichirs per tank they work out well.The top trim ring is a little strange but ok youmight as well get the glass tops for whatever tank you get from them also-Anne

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
so i was just checking on their site and i am soooo bummed. i went through the ordering info for the 100g(upgraded front pain to starphire glass even) w/ hood cost $375 but would cost me $435 to get it shipped! anyways i was wondering do bichirs quit growing if the tank is to small or will they continue to grow. i am going to be upgrading from my 20L soon but my lap seems to have greatly slowed growing at about 7".

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
you need a biger tank a 180 72''x24''x24'' is useually the minimum tank
but yes they will stop growing but that is called stunting and that is very bad it not only stunts the life span but stunts there organ growth so stunting is bad you may need to trade that lap in for a smaller bichir

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
do you think it has already stunted it or will. i am hoping to upgrade my tank soon, maybe not straight to a 180 but at least a 75 or up. if you think she's already poss stunted let me know and i'll try to upgrade more. (i couldn't stant to get rid of her, even the LFS here that has enli/delhzi/ornates/retro/beuts and one other i can't remember now, didn't have any laps, i found her as a fluke at some hole in the wall store)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store