Oct 3, 2019
Yeah, see what Rocksor Rocksor said lmao

Reactions: C. Breeze

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Through natural methods maybe, but I'm sure they have other ways. There's way too many blood parrots of various sizes (and there's always the running joke that convicts will breed in a drop of water with any CA of the opposite sex, not so much with SB midevils.).
Really? Ive heard convicts literally can be put in a cup with water and they'll breed, they're that easy.
My convict is actually paired with my parrot. The issue is that the parrot is the male. I think it’s just a rarely done hybrid and these guys are often infertile because parrots.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Speculation is pointless when there are people that have bred these and many parrot crosses as well. You can have actual information if you listen and stop guessing. Shortbody or jellybean cons have been in the hobby for many years and have nothing to do with parrots except the look. I had shotbody cons myself in 2006 or 2007. There was a great breeding blog on them way back: https://gregthecrazyfishguy.wordpress.com
It should be obvious that a parrot cross will yield a great many phenotypes (a hybrid of at least 3 fish at this point) and very rarely is parrot shaped one of them.
This ridiculous assumption that anything short bodied must automatically be a parrot cross is a strange and unfortunate development.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Speculation is pointless when there are people that have bred these and many parrot crosses as well. You can have actual information if you listen and stop guessing. Shortbody or jellybean cons have been in the hobby for many years and have nothing to do with parrots except the look. I had shotbody cons myself in 2006 or 2007. There was a great breeding blog on them way back: https://gregthecrazyfishguy.wordpress.com
It should be obvious that a parrot cross will yield a great many phenotypes (a hybrid of at least 3 fish at this point) and very rarely is parrot shaped one of them.
This ridiculous assumption that anything short bodied must automatically be a parrot cross is a strange and unfortunate development.
I know a lot about fish and stuff but this makes me feel like I’m in 1st grade again I don’t understand any of that lmao

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I know a lot about fish and stuff but this makes me feel like I’m in 1st grade again I don’t understand any of that lmao
Nothing wrong with admitting you don't understand, that's an important step in learning things. Much better than the idiots pushing "PARROT CROSS!" out of their mouths whenever they see a shortbody cichlid. No one was claiming balloon rams were parrot crosses back in the day :drool:

The shortbody trait has influence on shape of mouth and fin development. You can get a "parrot" mouth and fin deformities from 2 pure species shortbody crosses. Most parrot crosses look nothing like parrots.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Old AA takes his poly hybrids and his ornamental deformities seriously dammit.

take a look at goldfish sometime and you’ll see where ornamental cichlids are headed. Whatever.
I wish cichlid hybrid breeders took breeding as seriously as goldfish breeders. I do both, I like man made fish as pets and breeding with results is very enjoyable.
We should share knowledge not continue spreading inaccurate speculation.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Keep/breed/select/cull etc a line of ornamental fish. See my avatar.I can Still get pairs that throw plain leucistic fry at a rate of 25% , which is totally unacceptable. Most pairs will throw almost 100% marked fry at about a 50/50 spilt between “calico” and “marble”
For reference I see a lot of black and white fish called calico but to me that’s marble. True calico is like a shubunkin
I only keep pairs that throw heavy true calico as opposed marbled. 75% or better and eventually ....

its a project for sure.
I also keep my regular fish in groups of 3-4 pairs when we possible so I can distribute fry that aren’t all brother sister. JuT a little more effort.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Everything short-bodied is now referred to as "parrot" because casual fish hobbyists have come to recognize that shape over the past 10 - 15 years. So that's how they are marketed. At my local LFS I have seen parrot convicts, parrot flowerhorn, etc. and they are just deformed, short-bodied culls with messed up heads and mouths and spines.

Someone at my LFS bred a parrot and a convict, accidentally, then traded in the pair and all the fry. I bought one of the fry. They looked like convicts, or convicts with orange parrot coloration, like this. Even the ones that came out short-bodied were not so extreme that they looked like potbellied parrots.

parrot convict.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store