So you want your new African Tiger Fish to eat pellets?

Chicxulub

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
I would like to caveat to my "use floating pellets" statement.

I recently got a PM from one of the several members who is trying to use this method right now. The individual brought up a great point that I wish to address. I'm paraphrasing his question here: "My ATF will bite the Massivore, but always spits them back out".

I feel that not only is using floating pellets important, but it is important to use the right pellets. I have used Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks now for a long time with fantastic success with my tigers. The reason for this success is because once the tigers bite it, they will readily eat it. They eat it because Hikari Carnisticks are unique in the fact that they're formulated to quickly absorb water and take on a soft, spongy consistency that makes the predator biting them feel like its biting into a fish. Offering hard pellets to your toothy little tiger who actually bites his food will feel to the fish like he's biting a rock, and he will resist eating them. Other large predators who will take the hard pellets like Cichla and most catfish use a suction feeding method where they suck food quickly into their mouth (<--click), and as such texture isn't nearly as important.

In summary, I feel that Hikari Carnisticks and any other floating pellet that will consistently maintain a spongy texture are important to getting your ATF on pellets. Hard pellets like Cichlid Gold will make your life difficult indeed.

Reactions: Matteus

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Thanks for amazing method and informations. I just bought a GATF 4.5 in along with 3 tinfoil bards, It's nice to see these bards shoal around my GATF and calm his down greatly. After 12 hours in my tank I used Hiraki food stick to feed my bard and the GATF really excited along the bards watching them eating food stick but he doesn't take a bite yet (he previouslly was fed with frozen brineshirmp so I think he will easier to break). Also, thank you for your other post how to ID the ATF, it's helped me alot at LFS since he got 3 types of AFT in his shop :)

Chicxulub

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks for amazing method and informations. I just bought a GATF 4.5 in along with 3 tinfoil bards, It's nice to see these bards shoal around my GATF and calm his down greatly. After 12 hours in my tank I used Hiraki food stick to feed my bard and the GATF really excited along the bards watching them eating food stick but he doesn't take a bite yet (he previouslly was fed with frozen brineshirmp so I think he will easier to break). Also, thank you for your other post how to ID the ATF, it's helped me alot at LFS since he got 3 types of AFT in his shop :)
I'm glad I could help! :D

Post back here in the future to LMK if it works for you! :thumbsup:

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Just an update:
After 6 days my GAFT still refuse to try out food stick, the barbs getting bigger with these rich protien food stick :p
I used to break all my Arowanas and train them to eat maket prawns and always work after 2 or 3 days without teacher fish.
How long a 4.5 in GATF can go without food? 1 week or 2 weeks or he just rather starve to death and still refuse to eat food stick lol...it's like a dead or live game between me and my GATF O.O

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
I would highly doubt your ATF would starve to death in a week, even 2 weeks should be no problem... just be patient, and watch his behavior to make sure he's still acting normal ... I had to starve mine for over a month to get them eating pellets

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Update:
Days 8 the GATF still don't want to eat pellets but I think his behave is changing, he activelly followed the barbs around at near end eating frenzy from the barbs but there is no more pellets left.
My barbs grown bigger alot and I just put a whole food stick (used to broken it down to 2 or 3 pieces per stick) so they can take a bit longer time to chew it down. I think this GATF going to eat pellets soon lol :thumbsup:

Edit: these bards start picking fight with GATF by bite him on the side body and he just ran away. Is that ok?

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Update:
Day 10: my GATF decided to take on 1 of the barb for his meal (he couldn't swallow the whole thing so he only ate more than half of the barb body, fraction of the frontal part left and stuck at filter intake), I bet the last 2 barbs are on his next meal menu. Also his behave changed he start chase the barbs here and there and try to bite them...more like try to bite them into pieces for meal.:headbang2

Chicxulub

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
That really sucks man. This is why I don't recommend putting anything you care about with a GATF that's undergoing training. While he was starving, my GATF killed and ate: six silver dollars, three tinfoil barbs, one RTBS, two bala sharks and a VATF. He also killed but did not eat a baby silver arowana and an Indopac tarpon.

Now that he is reliably onto pellets, he cohabitates well. After he was broken I would occasionally add feeders for the other predators and he never touched them. Since he's been broken he's only bitten one other fish and that was in self defense.

Stay the course, GATF are VERY stubborn and hard to break. If he's going after tankmates that means he's getting desperate. Keep doing what your doing. If he's been investigating the surface when the barbs feed, it shouldn't be too much longer before he eats.

• Love
Reactions: Matteus

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
That is the way my gatf broke. They are tuff to get to break. Once broke they still are hard to trust. My gatf disliked certain fish and never changed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Update:
Day 16: My GATF still NOT accept food stick and killed another barb (barbs are 3 inches)
What's other fish can be a teacher fish with less being kill by my GATF? he's already killed 2 barbs so he will kill them again and again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store