Start of Blackwater biotope

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's a couple recent shots of my seasonal blackwater 180.
Because the tank is outside, when the rainy season starts, tannins get washed in from the surrounding dry vegetation, sometimes after heavy rains tannins gets so concentrated, I can hardly see an inch into the tank, but some water changes usually dilute that, until the next storm. One part I find interesting is that even with thick tannin my pH will hardy drop more that a 10th or so, from 8.2, to 8.01 or maybe 8.0.
IMG_8711.jpeg
IMG_9230.jpegIMG_9412.jpeg

scones7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2023
Virginia
Is this the same tank? Can you post how it is set up so that things wash into it? Is the surface flush with the ground like a pond, or do leaves fall onto the surface from above? Does rainfall overflow the tank? In any event I bet the fish love the dynamic effects of the weather, very reminiscent of a wild biotope, that's awesome.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Is this the same tank? Can you post how it is set up so that things wash into it? Is the surface flush with the ground like a pond, or do leaves fall onto the surface from above? Does rainfall overflow the tank? In any event I bet the fish love the dynamic effects of the weather, very reminiscent of a wild biotope, that's awesome.
I have split bamboo branches and an old gutter piece, that catch and channel rainwater. into the tank
IMG_2066.jpegIMG_1114.jpeg
The tank does sometimes over flow during heavy, extended rains, there is a sump, which has a redundant continuous, emergency over flow to send any excess overflow water to the garden, or into a bucket.
I look forward to it overflowing, because it's a free, no effort water change, during long , heavy rains.
In the shots below, you can see the overflow sending water to the garden
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_0051.jpeg
When water reaches the hole in vertical PVC pipe (pic above), upper right hand corner, that overflow water ends up automatically coming out the tube, lower left of the shot above.
The tank is on a normal aquarium stand, not on the ground, its sump is slightly lower (right in the shot below)and placed off to the side.
IMG_1548.jpeg.

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
View attachment 1520547
Think I’ve settled on the darker tint. Hunting more driftwood at the minute have another bag of dried leaves but will wait I think.
Such a mysteriously beautiful setup! How did you get the water to look like that but still be well- lit and clean? I'm considering doing a black water setup.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store