Stocking idea with angels

Pjv81

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2024
After tearing the tank down and really washing the sand and starting back up.

I want to keep adding plants and aim for a heavier planted tank. I have three angels now and 4 Otto’s.

I plan to get more Otto’s and I was thinking either multiple Cory’s or 2 pictus catfish as I love catfish.

My one LFS has a beautiful red Severum for sale and was pondering on getting him for the main center piece fish. I’ve done some research and some people had luck keeping them with angels.

Do you think the angels would be okay with the Severum if I add multiple schools of tetras to use as dither fish and more movement to the tank?

open to any other ideas as well.

IMG_6588.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Do you think the angels would be okay with the Severum if I add multiple schools of tetras to use as dither fish and more movement to the tank?
The aquarium is not large enough for fully mature Angelfish and a fully mature Severum. I suggest one group of tetra. I personally would choose the rummynose tetra.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
After tearing the tank down and really washing the sand and starting back up.

I want to keep adding plants and aim for a heavier planted tank. I have three angels now and 4 Otto’s.

I plan to get more Otto’s and I was thinking either multiple Cory’s or 2 pictus catfish as I love catfish.

My one LFS has a beautiful red Severum for sale and was pondering on getting him for the main center piece fish. I’ve done some research and some people had luck keeping them with angels.

open to any other ideas as well.

View attachment 1547049

View attachment 1547050
I don't think a severum would be a good idea, nor Pictus catfish. The severum gets much larger than the angels and will probably harass them. The pictus are too active for angels, so they will stress them out. I recommend a Striped or Spotted Raphael Catfish if you want a medium-sized catfish. They are larger but peaceful and sedentary. Also, corys would be great. Some small tetras would also be great.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Here are a few other options:

1. Rams (German blue I think are the best looking, but I think any type can work)

2. Livebearers such as mollies or platys.

3. Keyhole cichlids

Reactions: AR1

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The aquarium is not large enough for fully mature Angelfish and a fully mature Severum. I suggest one group of tetra. I personally would choose the rummynose tetra.
I keep 4 full grown angel in my 75g (4’ z18” by 20” height) planted tank. It may not be roomy enough for long veil angel to move around, but mine are all short veil. Tankmates include large Tera, pearl gourami, kribensis and several medium African cichlid. I used to have a female red severum in the mix. Male severum, twice the size of female, will be too large to fit in.

IMG_0391.jpeg

IMG_0391.jpeg

rayoddballfish

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Nice tank. I personally wouldn’t go with severum as a centerpiece fish not due to its size but because of its herbaceous nature. Generally severums in planted tanks is not a good idea. They may also eat your small dither fish as they grow larger. If you want a better centerpiece fish I would recommend maybe some dwarf cichlids. Apistogramma and rams should work well and have plenty of color and personality. Another suggestion is a red flag tail prochilodus. This fish might be pushing it with the tank size but they are slow growing and I’ve seen ones max out anywhere from 12-16 inch. Peaceful and vibrant and while may munch on Plants generally been pretty good in my planted tanks. Plus one of the best algae eaters! Hope this helps. I’m usually one to slightly overstock my tanks but with the right maintenance and care they do fine :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store