Sump setup

Danny Falabella

Feeder Fish
Sep 19, 2024
Australia
Wanting to get help with the setup of my sump.
I'm changing from filter socks to a filter roller but am concerned my sump media isn't setup correctly.
Any advice on the setup and if I should have sponges or different type of media in tank?

1000006760.jpg

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Wanting to get help with the setup of my sump.
I'm changing from filter socks to a filter roller but am concerned my sump media isn't setup correctly.
Any advice on the setup and if I should have sponges or different type of media in tank?

View attachment 1549538
Welcome to MFK!
Maybe wednesday13 wednesday13 can help?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There really isn't a "wrong or right " way, to set up a sump as long as your media is neutralizing ammonia and nitrite, then its set up right.

For example, I don't use baffles.
I use a panel of porrett foam, to mechanically filter debris from the pump and biomedia side, from rest of the 125 gallon sump planted side.
IMG_8811.jpegIMG_8795.jpeg
The above pics wer taken, when the sump was 1st set up 5 years ago.
The rest of the sump (about 80%) is planted, with aquatic and terrestrial plants, and removes practically all nitrates,
which is my goal, and aim for a sump.
IMG_3595.jpegIMG_6835.jpeg.

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois
I really can’t tell what is in the third chamber, maybe sponge mats? Does the roller fit in the first chamber? If so just remove the sock holders and put the roller there and call it a day.

I only use a roller in my reef and socks in all the freshwater sumps. Any reason you want to switch? I have roughly 50 socks and have to wash a load every three weeks.

Danny Falabella

Feeder Fish
Sep 19, 2024
Australia
There really isn't a "wrong or right " way, to set up a sump as long as your media is neutralizing ammonia and nitrite, then its set up right.

For example, I don't use baffles.
I use a panel of porrett foam, to mechanically filter debris from the pump and biomedia side, from rest of the 125 gallon sump planted side.
View attachment 1549548View attachment 1549549
The above pics wer taken, when the sump was 1st set up 5 years ago.
The rest of the sump (about 80%) is planted, with aquatic and terrestrial plants, and removes practically all nitrates,
which is my goal, and aim for a sump.
View attachment 1549552View attachment 1549553.
Ok so my spare chamber I could plant it out and it will help with nitrates?

Danny Falabella

Feeder Fish
Sep 19, 2024
Australia
I really can’t tell what is in the third chamber, maybe sponge mats? Does the roller fit in the first chamber? If so just remove the sock holders and put the roller there and call it a day.

I only use a roller in my reef and socks in all the freshwater sumps. Any reason you want to switch? I have roughly 50 socks and have to wash a load every three weeks.
Hi I have bio cubes in the third chamber and was wanting to swap to the roller as needing to change the socks every second day and it's alright when I am home but was concerned about leaving them for a week while I am away for work.

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois
Ok so my spare chamber I could plant it out and it will help with nitrates?
Yes indeed, you can plant it or set up an algae turf scrubber as it looks like you’ve got plenty of biological media in the second chamber.

Hi I have bio cubes in the third chamber and was wanting to swap to the roller as needing to change the socks every second day and it's alright when I am home but was concerned about leaving them for a week while I am away for work.
Yes, changing socks every day or two is a pain in certain scenarios. I’m just too cheap to buy more rollers as filter socks from BRS are cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store