SunSun Canister Filter Leaking Even with New Seal

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I posted something incorrectly in regards to the Sunsun 302 above.

The primer button is indeed serviceable. I actually just discovered this a few days ago. To get at the innards of it, you have to pry off the textured blue cap on the button with a small flat head screw driver.

Once that is off, there are 4 philips head screws below. After you remove these screws the primer assembly and springs can be removed from the filter head. Low and behold there's yet another O-ring seal for the primer "piston". I've never seen this one talked about and I don't know of replacement O-rings for it. You'd have to find/fit one yourself.

Probably best not to use the primer. It did have some grease installed on it from the factory.

Reactions: DAM

Maw maw turtle

Feeder Fish
Oct 22, 2021
Y sum sun leaking new ring no baskets. Was trying to find silicone lub. Every body say to use wd 40 can I use it I know not. Petroleum jelly

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Where is it leaking from?

You can buy plumber's o-ring silicone grease or regular Vaseline.

Maw maw turtle

Feeder Fish
Oct 22, 2021
Where is it leaking from?

You can buy plumber's o-ring silicone grease or regular Vaseline.
It's basically. Leaking where you lock the handles down at. Cleaned it plug it in primed it working then 5 minutes later leaking. Took apart turned and messed with baskets same thing again. Took baskets out same order new ring same. Everything says to use silicone gasket lubricant but walmarts was out of it. Was going to use Vaseline but says not to.never had a problem with any of my leaking till now thanks

Doug B

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
I run sunsun canister filters .I have three 704B filters. I use vaseline on the gaskets.
Seems to work fine,

Maw maw turtle

Feeder Fish
Oct 22, 2021
It's basically. Leaking where you lock the handles down at. Cleaned it plug it in primed it working then 5 minutes later leaking. Took apart turned and messed with baskets same thing again. Took baskets out same order new ring same. Everything says to use silicone gasket lubricant but walmarts was out of it. Was going to use Vaseline but says not to.never had a problem with any of my leaking till now thanks
Ok got lube still leaks when I put the lid on (with no basket) it feels like it's tippsy but I've looked and don't see anything that could be causing it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store