Texas/Mayan Hybrid Update-4 years later

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
"4 years ago I posted my Texas/Mayan hybrids. Since then, only one of them has survived."

It's too bad you only have one left. Have you tried to breed it back to another Mayan or another Texas?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would not put firemouths with this guy even in a 300 gallon, they are mild mannered fish with very easily dislocated jaws. I would say go for convicts if you want to try some smaller cichlids in with this beast. Other than that, I'd say for tankmates to avoid anything that looks similar to this guy, such as a full-breed texas or mayan. Large Flowerhorns/Amphilophus will be your best bet. Maybe big pike cichlids if you can find them, as they look nothing like him and they might not be seen as a threat. I would keep all the other fish in the tank first and let them get established, then put this guy in last, so he does not see it as his territory that others are intruding on. Be advised that even in a 300 gallon, this guy might be a killer.
You might have better luck just keeping large non-cichlids with him. Polypterus, catfish, that sort of thing.

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store