Thailand wages war against invasive Tilapia Fish

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Sarotherodon Melanotheron

Not the common black or red tilapia that have been farmed for decades, but some newly arrived brackish fish.

Looks very fancy. Don't know what it would taste like.

Unfortunately, this war may not be won.

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Sarotherodon Melanotheron

Not the common black or red tilapia that have been farmed for decades, but some newly arrived brackish fish.

Looks very fancy. Don't know what it would taste like.

Unfortunately, this war may not be won.
Thanks for the clarification Midwater Midwater

However, isn't this a bit concerning for your country, considering how much damage and problems invasives caused in the USA and Europe?

Wouldn't aquaculture and tourism be affected?

Reactions: Midwater

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Tilapines are already the dominant species in 2 major lakes in Panama, and a number of lagoons, and are edging out and replacing endemic species,
add to that aquarium mutt makers, and soon we will be left with fewer and fewer true and endemic species.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...add to that aquarium mutt makers, and soon we will be left with fewer and fewer true and endemic species...
Oh, come now, duanes duanes , don't be such a wet blanket. I mean, it's not as though there are all kinds of casual aquarists crossing species willy-nilly in their basement aquariums, is it?

And they're not choosing which species to work with in their "projects" based solely upon what sounds cool, are they?

And of course they are being ultra-cautious about not selling or giving away or releasing any of their creations to prevent them from polluting the wild genetic pool, aren't they???

We're not constantly seeing questions posed here on MFK, asking if an ABC fish could be crossed with an XYZ fish, and what it would look like and what we should call it, are we?

And we don't read rebuttals from the crossbreeding guys, telling us there's nothing to worry about because they're very responsible, and that anyone commenting negatively about their actions is just silly.

Yeah.....nothing to worry about here... :uhoh:

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Oh, come now, duanes duanes , don't be such a wet blanket. I mean, it's not as though there are all kinds of casual aquarists crossing species willy-nilly in their basement aquariums, is it?

And they're not choosing which species to work with in their "projects" based solely upon what sounds cool, are they?

And of course they are being ultra-cautious about not selling or giving away or releasing any of their creations to prevent them from polluting the wild genetic pool, aren't they???

We're not constantly seeing questions posed here on MFK, asking if an ABC fish could be crossed with an XYZ fish, and what it would look like and what we should call it, are we?

And we don't read rebuttals from the crossbreeding guys, telling us there's nothing to worry about because they're very responsible, and that anyone commenting negatively about their actions is just silly.

Yeah.....nothing to worry about here... :uhoh:
i think you just started a war with the 'Hybrid Masters" :ROFL:

Reactions: dmyersWv

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
i think you just started a war with the 'Hybrid Masters" :ROFL:
Nope...been sniping at them for many years, long before I ever heard of MFK, without any positive results. Nothing new about my stance here.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
How on earth would tourism be affected by an invasive fish species unless I missed all the reports of shark like attacks on tourists by Tilapia…
Well a couple of peers told me that Thailand is famous for its fishing grounds, rivers, etc and that people from all over the world come here to fish. So i figured if the Tilapia outcompeted the native fish for food or hunted them, then tourism might decrease due to decreased native fish population.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midwater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store