Thankful for my fish

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. That’s one of the nicest aquarium builds and I’ve always wondered if it got done. Hope it comes to fruition for you. Maybe you can hire some folks to finish it up?
my baby - I'm going to do it. Had a guy install new kitchen windows, put in stair rails and a new stove hood. He made it clear twice that he wanted to work on the tank and get it finished. His helper must be blind in one eye and is a slovenly painter and does not know how to do finish work. I had to finish and paint the ceiling around the stove hood. I had him rip out his horrible job around the kitchen windows and had to finish and paint the sills and trim myself. There were about a thousand nail holes to fill in the beautiful redwood after he ripped out his shoddy work. Didn't know what to use to fill in the gap where the one window post had been, so used Polygem epoxy putty that I use on my fish tank backgrounds and painted it. I can at least live with the results now. Still need to have one window taken out and put in straight. Still need to do the finish painting around the stair rails. His working in my tank is NEVER going to happen. I'm stuck with me, myself and I on that project.

Ancient single pane windows
1692551331298.png

new windows - have acrophobia and hated standing on the kitchen counter to work. Repeated resanding and painting to get the results I wanted. Yeah, I know, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I gave it my best effort. All these unexpected projects took away time from working in the tank :(

1692551814267.png

I will consider hiring someone to do all the plumbing on the tank when the backgrounds and floor are finished.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Day 9 without power to our area. The power company has brought in HUGE generators, and has slowly been getting temporary power to customers. If all goes well, some time between 5pm and midnight today, my area will have temporary power. Our propane tank was refilled Monday and yesterday. I can hear the neighbor's small generator running (they got one yesterday)

The fire is 0% contained, and efforts are to save structures. Firefighting hotshots have/are arriving from all over including from Wyoming and southern California. Had a lot of lightning last night, but don't know if more fires were ignited. The smoke has been so heavy the last two days, that the fire tactical planes just made a quick perusal and left our area. There was only one day when the big tanker planes could be utilized. Today is another heavy smoke day, and the spotter planes haven't even been around to check the biggest fire now at 57,225 acres or the other smaller fires. Light blue is where we live.

1692987088803.png

On Tuesday, it was clear enough for the tanker planes to drop retardant on the advancing edge of the Kelly Fire. This pic shows three tanker planes (purple) with the small spotter plane guiding them (green)
1692988630577.png

When it's smokey like this, the planes are nixed.
1692987600691.png

The northern edge of the fire is now in OR. The whole area (41 miles by highway) Slant Bridge Smith River to O'Brien OR is Level 3 GO NOW, i.e., evacuated.

I confess to spending an inordinate amount of time watching two fire apps. Our status could change quickly with us needing to evacuate. Whelp, I've got to do water changes...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My goodness PM! ....somehow your thread has escaped my notice until just now....hoping all turns out well for you out there!

Reactions: Fishman Dave

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
My goodness PM! ....somehow your thread has escaped my notice until just now....hoping all turns out well for you out there!
Thanks Krich. We are safe at the moment, but our status could change any time. In this pic, we are in the tiny bit of green just below the bottom left corner of the red evacuated area. This was several days ago, as the evacuated area extends into Oregon now.
1693000489506.png

A spotter plane is very interested in an area right now. Blue dot is my house. Hopefully, the smoke has cleared enough and some tanker planes can come in.
1693000748241.png

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Great to hear that you are doing well.
My advice from some crazy fires in Australia a few years ago is do not wait until the last moment to evacuate.
Plenty of people died in wild fires in Victoria, waiting too long until evacuation.

We had fire quite close to our property 2 years ago and had water bombers active etc, and we were ready to go in the drop of a hat, and we live in suburbia

Not saying that you don’t know what to do, just know lots of people lose their lives thinking they will be fine.

Stay safe 👍

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Great to hear that you are doing well.
My advice from some crazy fires in Australia a few years ago is do not wait until the last moment to evacuate.
Plenty of people died in wild fires in Victoria, waiting too long until evacuation.

We had fire quite close to our property 2 years ago and had water bombers active etc, and we were ready to go in the drop of a hat, and we live in suburbia

Not saying that you don’t know what to do, just know lots of people lose their lives thinking they will be fine.

Stay safe 👍
You are absolutely right. We have another very smokey day, so don't expect any air tanker support. First thing I did this morning was check the fire situation. Doesn't appear much worse on our end - a few hot spots. The fire is growing across the border in Oregon. Don't know how many hot shot fire fighters are in our area now....there were more than 1,200 at the beginning of the week and more have been arriving every day from other states and all over. This is the highest priority fire in the country right now. This is a screen shot of the fire this morning. The gray area shows part of the devastating Slater Fire that consumed 157,229 acres. (we were on Level 2 evacuation status) The Smith River Complex Fire is at 66,505 acres right now. There is 0% containment on this fire. They will let it burn in wilderness areas (which most of our area is) and concentrate on saving structures by doing fire lines, clearing brush, etc., to keep it from advancing toward structures. All the green are big trees.

1693060749248.png

Trees everywhere and all around us. Very beautiful here, but all threats in a fire situation. You can tell we have a pacu house.

1693061057939.png

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
If you are on FB, you can view this link posted a few days ago It is a digital animation of the terrain where the fires are. Definitely not an easy area to try to control fires.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store