the great diy debate

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
the entire ideal of this thread goes out the window once you need 3/4" acrylic lol
Haha yeah… polyester resin, fiberglass and glass windows will always be the most affordable option for large builds. Glass prices are gettin crazy these days tho also. Materials are all over the place right now. Back in 09’ when i did my build i used polypropylene as it was 1/3 the price of acrylic. Today its about equal.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Haha yeah… polyester resin, fiberglass and glass windows will always be the most affordable option for large builds. Glass prices are gettin crazy these days tho also. Materials are all over the place right now. Back in 09’ when i did my build i used polypropylene as it was 1/3 the price of acrylic. Today its about equal.
i refurbish boats as a side job. here its cheaper for that 4x8 sheet of acrylic and a container of weld on then it is for a pail of polyester resin. not including the chop mat and supplies to lay it. like mixing containers and brushes. also not including the secondary cost of hardener. i also find the fumes from polyester resin far worse and longer standing then say methylene chloride or weldon 16. the other side to that comparison is that fiberglass is not totally water proof. moisture does pass through polyester resin when cured. its just an extremely slow rate. thats why its reccomended to coat a tank in an epoxy paint over the fiberglass and wood. pond armor is ridiculously expensive right now.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
i refurbish boats as a side job. here its cheaper for that 4x8 sheet of acrylic and a container of weld on then it is for a pail of polyester resin. not including the chop mat and supplies to lay it. like mixing containers and brushes. also not including the secondary cost of hardener. i also find the fumes from polyester resin far worse and longer standing then say methylene chloride or weldon 16. the other side to that comparison is that fiberglass is not totally water proof. moisture does pass through polyester resin when cured. its just an extremely slow rate. thats why its reccomended to coat a tank in an epoxy paint over the fiberglass and wood. pond armor is ridiculously expensive right now.
Crazy u can get acrylic cheaper than poly rez… i believe it tho. Materials are all over the place depending on location.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
right now my price on a 4x8 sheet of 12mm is 210 for black and 190 for clear. (canadian doll hairs)
its a shame because most places only sell resin in quarts 1 gallon and 5 gallon pails.
its $250ish for the 5 gallon pail. you probably wouldnt need 5 gallons to repair or put a tank back together. but if it had a big footprint the 1 gallon probably wouldnt be enough. 2-1 gallon pails arent much cheaper then the 5 gallon pail. then the epoxy sealant just drives the cost up way higher then acrylic.

if it wasnt for covid acrylic would be 20-30% more and the resin would be cheaper. this is only due to covid and the surplus of acrylic will eventually run out. so this is probably only going to be the case for the next 6-12 months or so. unless we have another lockdown and everyone needs the guards at every cashier station again.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I must admit that the main reason why I personally am such a fan of plywood is simply the fact that all my experience is with that type of tank construction. Even when I first started building plywood tanks (30-ish years ago), I seem to recall that the minimum size at which they became cheaper on a per-gallon basis than glass was somewhere up around 300+ gallons.

I built a lot of all-glass tanks back in the day, for myself and also while working for a local small business that made them. Back then we used much thicker glass than is typically seen today, making the tanks more costly (for that time period) than they are today and much heavier...but it also made them stronger, more resistant to damage and easier to build.

Virtually all my builds have been either 120 gallons (4 x 2 x 2 feet, made from a single 4 x 8 sheet of plywood) or 360 gallons (8 x 3 x 2 feet, made from three sheets of ply). The tanks themselves contain no 2x4's, so I'm not sure why you have any 2x4's listed at all...let alone 15 of them?

I had no idea that acrylic is now so relatively inexpensive, and I can certainly see the appeal of using it for a DIY builder, but I am curious about one issue: in what manner does an acrylic tank fail? All-glass tanks can suffer massive seam separations, dumping a huge quantity of water on the floor right now. I experienced one such incident with a commercially available tank...it's actually what led me to plywood construction...and I've helped several friend clean up the aftermath of similar catastrophes. Plywood, if it leaks at all, tends to be a slow, insidious process which is certainly not fun to witness, but it doesn't involve a huge destructive tsunami in your living room. How about acrylics? Do they typically have seams let loose, or is a failure typically a slow dribble? That's an important question to anyone who has had a, shall we say...huge dribble...:)

L LukeOscar , that acrylic build you have posted in another thread is awesome; it's the kind of build that makes me think I should try that technique. I'll probably never do it; I've gotten older, moved into a much smaller house, and my involvement with the hobby no longer revolves around more-more-more and bigger-bigger-bigger. If I build anymore tanks now I'm not really interested in experimenting; I'll just do what I know works for me.

You touched on one particular aspect which few seem to consider: air quality as affected by the construction materials. Most of my tanks are built standing right where they will live their lives...which now means in the basement of my home. Weight is, for me, more or less a non-issue. Large all-glass tanks are no longer on my radar screen, but I still build the odd small one for specialized purposes or for friends, and the acetic acid fumes are fairly inoffensive and easily vented. A big plywood tank can be built with the mild odour of wood glue and some sillicone; the only fumes I really worry about are from the interior sealant. Back in the day those were high-VOC coatings and precautions were strict. Today, coatings like Pond Shield and the Intraseal epoxy I have been using produce greatly reduced levels of "dangerous bad smellies"; I also recently tried my first pond-liner plywood build, using Geocel 4500 as an adhesive/sealant, and was thrilled by the lack of fumes.

What's the deal with acrylic solvents? I am sort of assuming that they are the worst of the worst when it comes to dangerous fumes; yes, no?

Reactions: LukeOscar

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
jjohnwm jjohnwm acrylic solvents are pretty low voc and also evaporate so their pretty safe to work with and have mild fumes.

2 part acrylic glue/epoxy on the opposite is extremely bad for fumes and tough to work with indoors even with proper ventilation.

As for failure rates and acrylic… IME, solvent built tanks almost never “let go”… small areas might seperate and dribble and are easily repaired. 2 part epoxy built tanks will let go across entire seams. They can be stronger initially but if made wrong they can separate very quickly.

Pros and cons of every building method as always… ive rebuilt and repaired many acrylics. Acrylic can almost always be repaired opposed to glass where ud need to replace a panel. Cracks can be drilled/patched. Corner chunks/voids can be filled with 2 part epoxy similiar to bondo and seams can be re glued and reinforced pretty easy.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, when I use the epoxy it is never actually holding the tank together; I was referring to plywood tanks, glued/screwed construction, with the 2-part epoxy simply acting as the interior sealing coat. A few decades back, I used a product called Palguard, by Pratt and Lambert...I can remember this clearly, as I hunted for it relentlessly in Toronto (more or less the New York City of Canada, for all you non-Canuck members :)), and it took many weeks of searching and calling to find it. The fumes were unbelievable! By comparison, the stuff available today is pretty inoffensive...but still dangerous, of course.

Thanks...I think...for the info regarding acrylic solvent cements. But now I will need to find another excuse for not playing around with that construction technique; I'll probably just fall back on "I'm too old, too cheap and too lazy to start from scratch again". :)

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I must admit that the main reason why I personally am such a fan of plywood is simply the fact that all my experience is with that type of tank construction. Even when I first started building plywood tanks (30-ish years ago), I seem to recall that the minimum size at which they became cheaper on a per-gallon basis than glass was somewhere up around 300+ gallons.

I built a lot of all-glass tanks back in the day, for myself and also while working for a local small business that made them. Back then we used much thicker glass than is typically seen today, making the tanks more costly (for that time period) than they are today and much heavier...but it also made them stronger, more resistant to damage and easier to build.

Virtually all my builds have been either 120 gallons (4 x 2 x 2 feet, made from a single 4 x 8 sheet of plywood) or 360 gallons (8 x 3 x 2 feet, made from three sheets of ply). The tanks themselves contain no 2x4's, so I'm not sure why you have any 2x4's listed at all...let alone 15 of them?

I had no idea that acrylic is now so relatively inexpensive, and I can certainly see the appeal of using it for a DIY builder, but I am curious about one issue: in what manner does an acrylic tank fail? All-glass tanks can suffer massive seam separations, dumping a huge quantity of water on the floor right now. I experienced one such incident with a commercially available tank...it's actually what led me to plywood construction...and I've helped several friend clean up the aftermath of similar catastrophes. Plywood, if it leaks at all, tends to be a slow, insidious process which is certainly not fun to witness, but it doesn't involve a huge destructive tsunami in your living room. How about acrylics? Do they typically have seams let loose, or is a failure typically a slow dribble? That's an important question to anyone who has had a, shall we say...huge dribble...:)

L LukeOscar , that acrylic build you have posted in another thread is awesome; it's the kind of build that makes me think I should try that technique. I'll probably never do it; I've gotten older, moved into a much smaller house, and my involvement with the hobby no longer revolves around more-more-more and bigger-bigger-bigger. If I build anymore tanks now I'm not really interested in experimenting; I'll just do what I know works for me.

You touched on one particular aspect which few seem to consider: air quality as affected by the construction materials. Most of my tanks are built standing right where they will live their lives...which now means in the basement of my home. Weight is, for me, more or less a non-issue. Large all-glass tanks are no longer on my radar screen, but I still build the odd small one for specialized purposes or for friends, and the acetic acid fumes are fairly inoffensive and easily vented. A big plywood tank can be built with the mild odour of wood glue and some sillicone; the only fumes I really worry about are from the interior sealant. Back in the day those were high-VOC coatings and precautions were strict. Today, coatings like Pond Shield and the Intraseal epoxy I have been using produce greatly reduced levels of "dangerous bad smellies"; I also recently tried my first pond-liner plywood build, using Geocel 4500 as an adhesive/sealant, and was thrilled by the lack of fumes.

What's the deal with acrylic solvents? I am sort of assuming that they are the worst of the worst when it comes to dangerous fumes; yes, no?
there are certainly some failure concerns with acrylic. however they arent really that common. in fact it was wedsnday13 who explained to me the proper way to support the bottom pannel of acrylic. a glass tank or a well built plywood tank would only need the four corners supported for the most part. an acrylic tank needs the entire bottom supported. he steered me away from potentially having the bottom of the acrylic tank blow out.

one thing most people dont know about acrylic seams is the process if the solvent bonding and evaporating leaves the plastic more brittle then the rest of the pannel. thats why Ohio fish rescue has had 2 broken seams on tanks from dropping the corners when empty.

another notable issue we see with acrylic is UV damage. if you have powerful lights its not going to be uncommon to get UV damage. but it will probably take longer to get any notable UV damage before the same tank out of glass fails completely.

the reason why i would not use just plywood for a diy tank at 300 gallons or more. is simple. unless your layering 2-3 layers of ply ( way more expensive then 2x4s) youll get some bowing. now bowing doesnt automatically mean its not going to work. however your straining the seams on a bowed pannel more then a non bowed pannel. that will likely lead to failure sooner then it would have otherwise. by placing 2x4s or other methods of bracing youll prevent most of that bowing. i dont think this will be a problem on a 4 foot tank.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Yeah, when I use the epoxy it is never actually holding the tank together; I was referring to plywood tanks, glued/screwed construction, with the 2-part epoxy simply acting as the interior sealing coat. A few decades back, I used a product called Palguard, by Pratt and Lambert...I can remember this clearly, as I hunted for it relentlessly in Toronto (more or less the New York City of Canada, for all you non-Canuck members :)), and it took many weeks of searching and calling to find it. The fumes were unbelievable! By comparison, the stuff available today is pretty inoffensive...but still dangerous, of course.

Thanks...I think...for the info regarding acrylic solvent cements. But now I will need to find another excuse for not playing around with that construction technique; I'll probably just fall back on "I'm too old, too cheap and too lazy to start from scratch again". :)
if you want to dive into acrylic dont think about it to much. other then the literal welding of the seams vs glueing and screwing. you work acrylic the same way you work wood. i didint have to buy any special tools to build the 320. normal wood working tools work fine. most places that sell acrylic can cut it for you perfect and every place i got quotes from had free cuts if you were buying more then 1 sheet.

Reactions: wednesday13

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario

The takeaway of this post was never about pushing people to use a material they don't feed comfortable using. But just an outliner for people to compare costs. As most of the build videos and threads for building large diy tanks were pre covid. I figured some people might get the wrong idea about how much cheaper a plywood tank is. Pre covid it was probably closer to half the price or less. Now it's maybe 20-25%. That alone my sway some people's decision.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store