The Red Devil Diary

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Since the new light isn’t gonna be here till like next week I figured I’ll do some editing to try to get rid of or at least reduce the glare so these types of pics will have to do for now.

IMG_9489.jpeg

Last edited:

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Another update, so I was planning on starving him for 3 days starting from today, only to see a bunch of flakes at the bottom and my mom saying that she fed him smh. Guess that’ll have to wait until tomorrow. A real pet peeve of mine is anyone touching or doing stuff to my tanks without asking. I get that she loves him too but I want to get him on pellets. Now that means more work as I have to thorough vacuuming of the sand and whatnot, which I don’t mind as it’s better to be safe than sorry but I feel like it’s messed up my water change schedule. I do 80% on the weekends but I think I might just have to do one tomorrow. I’m a bit annoyed but it is what it is. NOT a good morning lol.

In other news, Kratos is fine. Active as ever. Really loves his hiding places as well, especially the large clay pot. I’ll see if I can get pics of him hanging out in there.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
UPDATE:

So I decided to throw in another pellet to see if he’ll give in, the usual happens- he goes for it instantly and then spits it out. He swam the entire length of the tank and came back, saw it again and went for it again BUT this time he kept it in his mouth for around a minute or so, I could see his jaws moving and crushing the pellet until voila! He spit like 2-3 crumbs out, so I guess he hate half a pellet? Seems like improvement to me. I’m starting to think maybe it’s a bit too hard for him to crush cause he smashes it as soon as it hits the water so what I’ll do tomorrow morning is soak ONE pellet for a couple minutes with tank water and then try again. Either way there’s improvement. He’s already a great fish, very active but also loves the hiding spots I’ve built. Great little guy so far. Here’s a couple more pictures. I’ll be doing a water change tomorrow (his first) so let’s see how he does then. Also I should say he has a bit more black on him today. The black spot on his tail fin is more intense now and he’s got a little black marking on his lip. Thought he hurt himself at first but I watched closely and it’s just markings.

IMG_9492.jpeg
Ignores the Serpae Tetras and just does his own thing (you can see a couple in the background)
IMG_9493.jpeg
Hanging out near the big clay pot. (Must be saying “ooh all these hiding spots for myself, too bad I don’t have to beat anyone up over them).
IMG_9494.jpeg

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
It was that way with Casper. Any time he hurt himself it would grow back as the silver color then peel again to his adult coloration. But he rarely did that, but his wife Goldie Hawn you can see it clearly how aggressive Casper was to her. Here is a couple pics showing her growing back after his aggression. 20190208_142715.jpg20190303_191120.jpg20190303_191137.jpg20190309_121001.jpg

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: Jexnell

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
UPDATE:

So great news guys, Kratos is finally eating the pellets! He took 3-4 today and didn’t spit any out (fed them one by one) then ignored the other one I threw in as if to say “that’s all I’ll eat”. Ironically, I soaked one in water and now he seems to dislike it now? Pretty much spit the entire thing out and now just goes for the ones I throw in instantly and left no crumbs. Boy is he a character lol. In mornings the tank gets about 2-3 hours of sunlight so I took some pics, no editing.

IMG_9497.jpeg

IMG_9499.jpeg

IMG_9500.jpeg

IMG_9498.jpeg

IMG_9502.jpeg

IMG_9503.jpeg

IMG_9504.jpeg

IMG_9501.jpeg

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Kratos’ first water change.
As you guys know, today was water change day, the little bugger’s first (of many lol).

So I went about my business as usual, using the vacuum to get all of the uneaten food and waste etc in the sand. Surprisingly, unlike almost all my past cichlids (exceptions being Bumblebee, my Buttikoferi and Rambo, my male Texas Cichlid) that went into hiding as soon as the python is in, Kratos didn’t. He was swimming around enjoying himself, he came to investigate at first and that was about it, not flaring or anything.I was surprised because I thought he’d be sulking and hiding, but nope.

A couple minutes later when I was too focused on getting waste out I got absolutely smashed (not once but TWICE) on my hand near the base of my pinky, the other being further up on my forearm. That sneaky little sh**. He got me good the first time too, the 2nd time wasn’t as bad. Now, at such sizes Rambo and even Bumblebee wouldn’t dare try to do that to me. My Buttikoferi started doing that at around 6 inches, my male Texas 7. This guy is only 4-4.5 inches and already not scared of anything?! After this incident I will definitely say he can rival my Buttikoferi in aggression.

Those damn little mullosk crushing jaws smh. I will say that he bites harder than my male Texas did as 7 inches. I’ve never been bitten by my female Butti cause I knew she’d do some damage and I was always careful so I can’t make any comparison of their bites, I’m sure he’d comparable to her at equal sizes though, both being mollusk crushers and all. All in all water change day went very well. Anyway here are some more pictures.

IMG_9513.jpeg

IMG_9514.jpeg

IMG_9510.jpeg
“Me? I can’t hurt a fly! Must’ve been one of the Serpae Tetras, it got you good…”
IMG_9512.jpeg

IMG_9518.jpeg

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: Matth05
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store