Thinking of adding a few more fish to the tank

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Thanks! I'm not much with the camera so I can't exactly make art with the fish pics. But in this case I figured I could at least tell the story with the photo.

I figured out why I'm not sold on flagtails or silver dollars - I've already got silver (and schooling) fish covered with the bala sharks. So maybe the tank doesn't need anything more than a bit of landscaping work. I'm not sure I can bring myself to undo my nice setup on the left there (though the background plants have gotten a bit unruly) but maybe shifting the stuff on the right and re-angling the filter returns to create new currents might change things up a bit.

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
with my birchir it's hit or miss as for being out. somedays he will dance at the front of the glass all day, and other's he'll hide but he is still small(5-6"). but he does mainly stay on the bottom. he has alot of personality though and to me i think they look awesome.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I made some changes today and did a deep cleaning. There was a giant pocket behind the driftwood and under the plants that got no water movement and had a huge collection of poop. It was nice to get rid of that.

I think I made the right side too clumped together, now it's all symmetrical. Not sure I like it. One dat has claimed that entire area too. But hopefully having that empty space on the right edge might get some fish swimming more freely. The Lussoso is a bit mad that I filled in one of his spots (back under the intake of the right filter) but now he has a nice clear path across the entire front and both sides. Thinning out the plants in back helped lighten things up a bit too.

But overall they still seem to be clustering to the left side. So I'll still be keeping my eyes open for a new addition or two.

DSCN1982.JPG

DSCN1984.JPG

DSCN1988.JPG

REDhooK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Penn
mayb some red hooks or a neeldlenose gar (even though its not a legit gar). the gar would sit at the top and redhooks never stop swiming back and fourth

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I just went back there now that the lights are on and all the fish were clustered over by the tree formation. The only one on the right 2/3 of the tank at all is the ctenopoma, who seems to have claimed that entire clump of rockwork. Every other fish hangs out on the left together. I made it worse.

On the plus side, all three bulbs are on right now and the dats are all social and stable. Been a while since I saw that much light pink with the lights on.

janzal3

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Maryland
If you're water conditions are ok, get a scat. I had distochodus sexfasciatus once. It was one of the meanest fish I ever had. On par with a red devil or a festae. I had to get rid of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store