Tiny Tropicals

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Minor update, I'm mostly posting to pose another probably dumb question. The Tropicals are eating frozen bloodworms now, but I wanted to know what's the likelihood of cannibalism if I housed the Cubans and the Tropicals together? Cubans are 7 inches the Tropicals around 5 inches.
Never got a response and I'd really like to house them together if possible so bumping the original query.

Good to hear that your gars are doing good. Mine is still refusing to accept pellets but eats dried krills. He is growing more in girth than length and has become a lot more bolder too. Thanks for asking!
Again, thank you bro. The Tropicals just started taking freeze dried krill. The Cubans have been taking pellets for a while now which is good, less stress feeding them as they take anything that floats currently. And again, I'm glad your Gar is doing well too.

Reactions: AR1

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Never got a response and I'd really like to house them together if possible so bumping the original query.

Again, thank you bro. The Tropicals just started taking freeze dried krill. The Cubans have been taking pellets for a while now which is good, less stress feeding them as they take anything that floats currently. And again, I'm glad your Gar is doing well too.
I don't think anyone wants to to be "the guy" who says that your proposed idea will be safe...in case it doesn't work out.

I'd assume that these gar species grow just as fast as Floridas and other NA species...which is fast!...so why not play it safe and keep them separate for the relatively short time it will take for their sizes to increase and give you a better idea of their compatibility?

A size difference of 2 inches is inconsequential when the fish are in the one-foot range...but it's the kiss of death if they are in the 3 or 4 inch range...and you're sort of in the middle between those extremes. Why risk it? What's the rush? You'll have a much better idea of how or if this will work if you just wait a few weeks or a couple months.

Personally, I have had enough personal experience with "This should work" and "That'll probably be okay"...which ended in "Dang! Should've waited a bit..." to ever dance that close to the edge nowadays.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

IME gar always appreciate “friends”… id wager the trops might even feed better with the cubans around eating pellets. Never had any issues with gators twice the size of floridas even.

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
There ya go: two diametrically opposed opinions on the same question! :)

wednesday13 wednesday13 is willing to be "that guy"...whereas I'm too chicken-s**t! :)

Okay! Next question? :)

• Haha
Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
There ya go: two diametrically opposed opinions on the same question! :)

wednesday13 wednesday13 is willing to be "that guy"...whereas I'm too chicken-s**t! :)

Okay! Next question? :)
Funny, read/saw ur post right after i responded lol… u prob have more wisdom/reason than i do 😂… i do agree the question matters less if the fish are larger in general, thats a good point. 12” vs 18-20” would cohab just fine worry free. Its probably smarter to hold back the wee jiblets for a bit longer juuuust to be safe.

• Wow
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Funny, read/saw ur post right after i responded lol… u prob have more wisdom/reason than i do 😂… i do agree the question matters less if the fish are larger in general, thats a good point. 12” vs 18-20” would cohab just fine worry free. Its probably smarter to hold back the wee jiblets for a bit longer juuuust to be safe.
You chicken-s**t! :ROFL:

• Haha
Reactions: wednesday13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store