Tips on how to get these MOBA to breed?

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
Beautiful tank and beautiful fronts nice to see some keepers not overstocked. I believe there still a little young and small plus in IMO they are all males except for the black widow. Fronts live in colonies and usually the best stocking is 3 females per male. I only see 4 fronts are there more in the tank? if not in that size tank i would add at least 5 more try to get females.
With Fronts you need to be VERY patient with them they are a long lived fish that's get to impressive size and the hierachy of the colony is the most interesting to watch

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
When they spawned in the tank, do you remove the dry from the mother’s mouth at some point? If you left the fry in the same tank with the adults, would they get eaten at some point or is there a chance of them growing?

My kids would love to see baby frontosas eventually show up, but I’m not sure if I would absolutely need to set up a secondary grow out tank or whether they could be left in the same setup as the mature specimens.
I didn't leave fry in the tank permanently to take their chances, the behavior of my adults didn't make it look promising. Otherwise, I did it a few different ways, stripped fry after long enough for them to be free swimming, or waited to capture fry for transfer to their own tank as soon as the female showed signs of releasing them, or set up a tangle of rocks and branches where fry could hide out after being released, then capture them once they started to get brave and venture out from there. Only thing I didn't do was strip eggs to put them in a tumbler, I liked to let the female do that for me.

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I didn't leave fry in the tank permanently to take their chances, the behavior of my adults didn't make it look promising. Otherwise, I did it a few different ways, stripped fry after long enough for them to be free swimming, or waited to capture fry for transfer to their own tank as soon as the female showed signs of releasing them, or set up a tangle of rocks and branches where fry could hide out after being released, then capture them once they started to get brave and venture out from there. Only thing I didn't do was strip eggs to put them in a tumbler, I liked to let the female do that for me.
Interesting. Thank you.

So you could simply wait until you see free-swimming fry, then net them into a much smaller grow out tank?

Good to know!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store