Top 5 least aggressive cichlid

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Also surprised to hear the trets are least aggressive. I think most any fish kept in the right sized tank with the right ratios and/or tankmates is manageable as far as aggression. But I had always heard trets are an exception. And the perspicax mbuna.

What about the timid haps, peacocks and Victorians? Lethrinops. Kandeense. Christmas fulu.

Reactions: Milingu and AR1

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I have found that Discus were very peaceful, although I will say one of mine had a lot of spunk and would set things back in order if things in the tank got too feisty. Always a treat to watch lol.

Reactions: AR1

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
^ What a beautiful tank what are those plants secured too..

Geophagus especially the redhead & orangehead tapajos are super peaceful as far as I know.
Yes, Geophagus, with the exception of Brazilensis, are mostly peaceful. G Juruperi is one large ciclid that can be kept with discus. The plants I have are different variants of Anubias, They are tough plants anchored roots on lace rock creating hiding places for cave dwellers.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Also surprised to hear the trets are least aggressive. I think most any fish kept in the right sized tank with the right ratios and/or tankmates is manageable as far as aggression. But I had always heard trets are an exception. And the perspicax mbuna.

What about the timid haps, peacocks and Victorians? Lethrinops. Kandeense. Christmas fulu.
I have kept male only Haps peacefully in a 125g as long as I keep a single species of each. Multiple male of the same species, including least aggressive peacock, will fight viciously at maturity. I have never had peaceful Victorian. All show disproportional aggression toward its own kind and other fish. The way I gage aggressiveness of a cichlid is whether I can keep a group permanently in the same tank. Trets is surprisingly one of them but not peacock.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I think most any fish kept in the right sized tank with the right ratios and/or tankmates is manageable as far as aggression.
This is the key to it all.
If you try to keep even two dovii in a 150 gal tank (a mere puddle compared to where they live in nature), of course they will be overly aggressive, and fight to the death.
1729173164659.png
If you keep 3 of them them ina 1000 gal tank you might be fine..

Or you try to keep 3 Rams, or A nanolutrus ina 20 gal (also a mere puddle), they will probaby tussle.
Keep the same 3 Rams in a 6 ft tank with approriate dithers, no problem at all.
1729173264147.png

Its all about adequate territory, for the species one is trying to keep, which most keepers seriously underestimate.
Especially when in comes to true loners, verses those species found in large varied comminumities
In rivers where I collect cichlids, I might only find 2 individuals of 2 species an in riverine section the size of a city block,
this should be a bit of an indication as to what works, of doesn't.
IMG_6951.jpeg

Reactions: AR1

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Tank size definitely has moderating effect on cichlid aggression. In home aquarium where tank capacity is finite, you can increase virtual capacity by introducing sight barriers. Jim Cumming has videos of large CA guarding eggs in neighborhood of flower pot dividers in 300g. Colonies of cave dwelling Julie’s and Lamprologus can be kept in rock caves in 55 to 75g. The reason I can keep a colony of Trets in 75 g is to provide a lot of sight barriers in a heavy planting. Sight barriers have limited moderation on open water dwellers, and truly aggressive cichlid will ignore sight barriers and actively hunt down victims.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store