Trimac or Midas for wet pet?

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
I have an open 90 gallon tank, standard 4ft x 18 deep.
I just can't make up my mind on either the trimac or Midas as a single wet pet!

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I have an open 90 gallon tank, standard 4ft x 18 deep.
I just can't make up my mind on either the trimac or Midas as a single wet pet!
A 90 gallon tank will not suffice for even a single midas cichlid. They can grow up to 15 inches easily if given the right amount of time and proper maintenance. If you plan on keeping a midas then you definitely need a bigger tank. As for the trimac, I have no experience with them so I will let other members chime in.

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
A 90 gallon tank will not suffice for even a single midas cichlid. They can grow up to 15 inches easily if given the right amount of time and proper maintenance. If you plan on keeping a midas then you definitely need a bigger tank. As for the trimac, I have no experience with them so I will let other members chime in.
Thank you. Noted

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
With proper tank husbandry either fish would be perfectly fine for life in a 90g.
I disagree
RD. RD. Jexnell Jexnell Sinister-Kisses Sinister-Kisses
Here are some members who have first hand experience with midas cichlids.

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
What about bartoni?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept all 3 of these cichlids.
And while I agree a 90 gal is a bit wimpy for the 1st two as full full grown adults, , with the proper husbandry all could work, but........to me this would mean miminum multiple water changes per week as a routine., and perhaps an upgrade in tank size as time goes along
All things considered though, for that size tank
To me the best fit for that minimal size tank, would be bartoni.
Male above, female below.
I kept my bartoni pair, in a 6ft tank, and after about 3 spawns I gave them to an aquarist with a 4 foot tank.
Within a very short time in that size tank, he was left with only the male.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I would pursue something smaller. Putting these 12in plus cichlids in a 4ft tank is like you living in your bathroom your whole life. Just not a lot of room to move around. I know 2 ft difference between a 90 and 125 doesn't seem like a lot, but in livability for the fish it is.
This is my 12in Amphilophus Saggitae in a six foot 125
20210420_195501.jpg
Just two twitches of his tail and he can end for end the 6 footer in a second flat.

I suggest something smaller, maybe Jack Dempsey, a breeding colony of Amatitlania or big single Convict with dithers and a bottom feeder.

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
I would pursue something smaller. Putting these 12in plus cichlids in a 4ft tank is like you living in your bathroom your whole life. Just not a lot of room to move around. I know 2 ft difference between a 90 and 125 doesn't seem like a lot, but in livability for the fish it is.
This is my 12in Amphilophus Saggitae in a six foot 125
View attachment 1547507
Just two twitches of his tail and he can end for end the 6 footer in a second flat.

I suggest something smaller, maybe Jack Dempsey, a breeding colony of Amatitlania or big single Convict with dithers and a bottom feeder.
What was the growth rate of yours? I've read trimacs get descent sized pretty quickly but not like an Oscar. I can accommodate if I move some fish around in my tanks for a 6ft

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What was the growth rate of yours? I've read trimacs get descent sized pretty quickly but not like an Oscar. I can accommodate if I move some fish around in my tanks for a 6ft
Amphilophus are a lot slower in growth as compared to the Olympic sprinters know as Oscar's. In a year you can expect them to get 8 to 10 inches, depending on care. I did water changes every 3 days, fin level and got Casper to 10in in the first year.
20210316_170045.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store