True parrot cichlid tankmates

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I think in some cases looks can be deceiving. Most of the videos I uploaded of mine showed it being passive and playing nicely. That's because it had established itself as the alpha in the tank at that point, and already gotten rid of any fish he didn't want there.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Ryansmith83.
A 180 gal tank is not really large, when used for a large fish like Hoplarchus (it is the same size tank i am running now, for much smaller cichlids, Panamanian Andinoacara)
To me it would be right for a pair, (maybe a compatible trio) and a shoal or two of "non-cichlid" dithers.
And as Ryan suggested, fish they grew up with, and are confident they can lord over as the alphas, fish like tetras or Corys large enough to not be feeders.
Any and all other cichlids at some random point in time, would be though of as competition to be either exterminated by them, or that they would be exterminated by.
Might take 6 months, might take two years, might be just at the point everything seems utopian.
On the water quality front, because Hoplarchus are prone to HLLE
I would also consider, that as the Hoplarchus grow, elevated nitrate and other by-products of metabolism would require daily large water changes, if the tank housed more than two or three large cichlids (or any other similar sized fish like large plecos, etc).
Even with just a pair (as adults) and dithers, every other day large water changes would need to be the norm.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The HITH point is a good one. This species is prone to it because they’re blackwater dish and their already-large sensory pits tend to easily get infected and erode away. I was doing two 90% water changes a week on the 220g seen in my videos above.

I am not usually one to suggest this, but a powerful UV filter on a tank with blackwater fish may be beneficial too. Sometimes I think it’s the bacteria found in harder, more alkaline water that causes them to falter over time. That, plus the water changes, is a good multi-pronged approach.

Reactions: Toiletcar

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Again, I agree with the Ryan, Aeromonas hydrophila is one of the common bacteria that contribute to HITH infections, and is most virulent in water with a pH range of 7-8.5. with moderate to high mineral content (hardness).
And Amazonian South American soft water species, that come from black water in the pH range lower than 6, and low to zero mineral content, do not have need to buildup immunity to this species of bacteria in nature.
So if put in tanks in places like the U.S., where tap water is commonly above 7, with a moderate to high mineral content, these cichlids are chronically affected, by these bacteria over time.
Add in the stress of nitrate soup, and too many tank mates..........

Not only Hoplarchus are included, but Oscars, Discus, some Geophagines, and Hypselacara etc etc .
58D5FF9B-7535-49F4-AEAA-3FFC11DC0A2B_1_201_a.jpeg
Some collection point data from their natural range above and below
B84DEF89-3543-405A-9EAC-00D5B5034F23_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store