True Red Terror (Festae)

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
so I went to my local fish store two days ago. In the past I had displayed interest in a red terror cichlid (festae not Mayan). It just so happens another local had traded in a juvenile 5 inch or so festae. I believe it is a true festae the tail spot is smaller and offcenter towards the top.

When I got him home I placed him in my 125 semi/aggressive tank. A flowerhorn male has taken to being the big king and he outsized the red terror by a decent amount. A female flowerhorn whom I had separated from him earlier in their developement due to his aggression has now established a relationship with him. She is smaller than the festae but she immediately started locking jaws with the festae, big male didn't seem to care all that much. Eventually he started chasing because the female was. I decided to place the flowerhorns in a tank I have recently started cycling for this very purpose.

Don't know if mine is a male or female yet, but so excited to grow it out. Currently there are 2 oscars, 2 ornate bichir, a lap bichir, 3 Raph cats, a fire eel, and 2 pleco (royal and chocolate). Red terror isn't like the other cichlids, he seems content to find a home and is less prone to patrolling. Time will tell how well he does with the fire eel and bichir.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
fullsizeoutput_471.jpeg
One of the ways to tell gender in festae, is to see if there is a dark area in the dorsal fin. I tried to edit your photo and make it clear, but with the dorsal folded down, its very difficult to see.
If you could get a shot with the dorsal extended up, and less blurred, it would help.

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
Hard to do without my mighty light on (not set up yet). I will try to get a better photo... maybe it is a female and that is why my female flowerhorn was locking jaws so readily...

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Is there a black spot at the front of the dorsal fin (closer to the head than the tail)? If no spot at all, more than likely a male although not guaranteed at this size. If there's an obvious black spot there, then it's more than likely female.

Old pic, but good visual comparison. Male in front, female towards the rear. Note the dorsal coloration on both:

IMG_0607.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store