Underwater Air Pocket?

jesteratc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Micco Florida
Hello, my names Andrew. My cousin over the weekend was showing me some kind of little air bubble thing he could purchase for his tank. He likes to keep crabs, but he wants to have fish too. So it creates a little air pocket for the crabs to live in.

I liked the idea, but all the ones he showed me were very small.

Anywho, i work with solidworks at my job where we design aquarium pumps and filtration so at lunch i modeled this up quickly.

I have an extra 37 Gallon Tank sitting around and thought i could do this.

Please excuse my poorly drawn rocks.

As you can see below, the air pump will just slowly fill the section to the left with air, displacing the water. So when its all the way filled there would be a large section for crabs and what not to hang out at.

There is an access panel that will be held in by small screws and a gasket. This way you can set up the area in the bubble before you fill it with water. Or in case something dies, you can remove it. Unfortunately you will need to drain the tank to do major surgery.

Since the Co2 is heavier than the Oxygen i believe that the old air will be forced out thru the bottom where the air is being pumped in.

Im thinking some clear acrylic for the center divider, and if im correct with my maths the force up lifting because of the air should be less than 47lbs pushing up on the acrylic. I just plan on using silicone to hold it in place.

What do you guys think?

Stupid, interesting, neat?

Thanks,

Andrew

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
The main disadvantages i see are difficulty in cleaning and reduced substrate for bottom dwellers. If this aren't a concern for you it looks like a pretty cool idea

Sent from my SCH-I510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
I just thought of a way to be able to acess it without floodin. You could make it a whole box instead of just one peice of glass/acrylic tho itd probly flote

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
You could weight it down or build in an anchor mechanism

Sent from my SCH-I510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jesteratc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Micco Florida
Thought i would actually move forward with this project. I wasn't sure at first but after thinking it over i went for it.

Couple down sides of the project so far. I ended up using pvc instead of plexiglass. So its not clear.
I need to add lighting to my removable panel so that the bottom is more lit.
The plastic upper section of my tank had to be removed :(

Other than all that im excited!!!!

Ok, heres the Pics.

And the misfortune

Underside of the Panel

Top Side of the panel

Heres clamping and attaching both panels

Heres both of them together

Also a gasket is between the panels, heres the excess i removed from the middle.

Here it all is in the tank

The pieces of wood underneath are there to support it while i put the silicone in.

Stay tuned for further updates.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Looks pretty cool. Excited to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jesteratc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Micco Florida
So here's what im thinking for lighting. I know it doesn't look like much, but i think it will work. It will fit nicely in the removable hatch, and i can wire it to a switch.

Pay no attention to that price for the 10watt one, its actually like 10$ on amazon from another provider.

If there's anyone who thinks i need a bit more light then step in.

The same company makes a 30 watt bulb for like 35$. But the company says it will easily light up a back yard, and i don't think i need that much....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store