Underwater Air Pocket?

jesteratc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Micco Florida
Thought i would update this from looking through my old posts. So probably a week after i uploaded the videos it blew out completely. Basically imploded. The bad silicone i used was my downfall. If i were to do this again, which would be quite possible. I would use fresh silicone, as well as a bleeder valve for the air to escape. Probably on the verticle side so i can get the co2 out the bottom of the tank, since thats where all the critters will be.

Anywho thanks for reading my thread. If i get another 20 or 30 gallon tank id like to try this again.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Pretty cool.. was thinking of this for a giant ferret cage.. they love water and having an underwater nest ala muskrats would have been cool.

But I bet the glass will always be covered in moisture... mold might be an issue too eventually

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Hello, my names Andrew. My cousin over the weekend was showing me some kind of little air bubble thing he could purchase for his tank. He likes to keep crabs, but he wants to have fish too. So it creates a little air pocket for the crabs to live in.

I liked the idea, but all the ones he showed me were very small.

Anywho, i work with solidworks at my job where we design aquarium pumps and filtration so at lunch i modeled this up quickly.

I have an extra 37 Gallon Tank sitting around and thought i could do this.

Please excuse my poorly drawn rocks.

As you can see below, the air pump will just slowly fill the section to the left with air, displacing the water. So when its all the way filled there would be a large section for crabs and what not to hang out at.

There is an access panel that will be held in by small screws and a gasket. This way you can set up the area in the bubble before you fill it with water. Or in case something dies, you can remove it. Unfortunately you will need to drain the tank to do major surgery.

Since the Co2 is heavier than the Oxygen i believe that the old air will be forced out thru the bottom where the air is being pumped in.

Im thinking some clear acrylic for the center divider, and if im correct with my maths the force up lifting because of the air should be less than 47lbs pushing up on the acrylic. I just plan on using silicone to hold it in place.

What do you guys think?

Stupid, interesting, neat?

Thanks,

Andrew
You sir, are a tinkerer aren't you? I do believe you have just created a stir....I am all in on this gem of an idea!
Nicely done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store