UV Sterilizers

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
So I've been thinking about adding a uv sterilizer to my 90g freshwater setup for awhile. I ordered the jebao 36w ss unit after quite a bit of research but couldn't find much on dimensions. It has arrived and is much larger than i expected. I think it's bigger than I want to install under my stand and really bigger than I need.

What other units have any fellow keepers been using? I've been looking at the coral life 6w turbo twist as well. Plastic housing instead of ss but not finding many smaller options in ss. Still not real clear on how big the coal life unit will be either. I'm new to these units, running an fx4 filter if anyone has advice I'd be grateful. It would be great if i could just ssplice one into the return hose from the fx and mount it to the inside side wall of my stand. The flow rate from the fx may be too high though.

If anyone has used any plug and play versions or has more information on the coral life or other inline units i would appreciate it.

Reactions: DMD123

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I know you already have one, but why do you think you must use a UV light system in what sounds as an indoor tank? What type of problems are you having that water changes can't accomplish? Just curious. Good luck!

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Just something i want to add for system health and preventative reasons. I don't have a quarantine tank, just my main display and a few months back i lost 6 or so fish to an unknown illness after adding a new pleco. I still do 50 percent weekly water changes and don't intend to decrease. My tank is near a large picture window and though the light is indirect, during certain seasons can still get a slight green tinge even in a week's time.

Many years ago in other tanks I've dealt with algae blooms and ich, and a fungal issue once. I've learned a lot since then and my water changes and filter maintenance practices have come a long way but this seems like a great low maintenance prophylactic measure.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I would get a bit of green water in my 300 so I added a Coralife 36 watt to one of my FX6 and it works great for that purpose. Had to custom plumb a “holder” to do it however.
IMG_1696.jpeg
I used valve unions so I could remove the unit to service and still keep pump running.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although a UV sterilizer will offer some protection and against diseases that have a planktonic stage (if the bulb is strong enough, and the phage spends enough detention time, in front of the bulb).
There are diseases spread by fish to fish contact, and other means, and the UV unit will not be effective in controlling those type.
A UV sterilizer only controls those Bacteria, or other parasites, that are pulled thru the unit, and zapped.
UV is not a substitute or panacea for a QT tank, and is only effective if the bulb changed periodically, and the sleeve is regularly cleaned of detritus that can reduce effectiveness and reduce its killing power.

As a microbiologist in the lab, I used UV units to kill pathogenic bacteria on certain glassware.
The unit i used had 4 bulbs, and with each use, had color tabs placed inside used to determine (by color change) its ability to kill and be effective. A tab was required required regularly to test its effectiveness.
When the tab turned a certain color, it was deemed effective, if the color changes was wimpy, bulbs needed to be replaced, usually at least once per year.

Last edited:

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Those are some interesting options, thanks for sharing! I realize it's not a magic bullet nor a substitute for quarantine tanks, and that is only effective on free swimming or waterborne pathogens and algae it's still a way to reduce some risk.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I'm also considering this unit from Amazon, it's a simple drop in plug and play and from what I've dug up on uv sterilizers the flow rate of 120gph on a 24w bulb is still effective at mitigating bacteria and parasites.

1000003774.jpg

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Any updates on this product? I am considering getting one on the off chance that it might help killing some pathogenic bacteria in my 125g main tank. I've been browsing reviews on amazon and it seems like there are a decent number complaining that the product stopped working within a few months. The manufacturer website claims to have a one year warranty. I will say that the supposed UL certification does make me more likely to try the product, and that I can just put it into the aquarium

On the other hand, I fear I may just be wasting my money. I browsed a few threads that came up in a search, and I gathered that the ones that really work costs several times more than this. (It also would be a more complicated system). I saw a post on the Aquarium Co-op forum from Cory saying that if these really were that great a preventing or helping with diseases, then breeders, wholesalers and stores would be using them heavily (which they don't).

Then again, I fear I may have Mycobacteriosis (we'll see if one of my affected fish die as in a thread I have going, I've said I'm going to just pay the $ to have the fish tested), and I've found two articles that claim that a UV sterilizer helped reduce the bacterial load enough that fish not showing symptoms seemed to do better.

I'm also considering this unit from Amazon, it's a simple drop in plug and play and from what I've dug up on uv sterilizers the flow rate of 120gph on a 24w bulb is still effective at mitigating bacteria and parasites.

View attachment 1531287

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store